Semi-inversed contrast display COMIC font.

Hi everyone, I'm Lorenzo, and I'm still somewhat new at font designing, I just started early this year.
This would be my 4th font in the making, but I'm still want to improve more.

The inspiration for this font is Filipino comic books from the 80s- 90s.

I envision this font to be used in banners, illustrations, comics, posters, and any other related stuff to it. I don't know If
I could envision this on small font sizes (20pt and below) but still want it to be somewhat legible in fair sizes. (I don't know what its called. sorry)

Here are some issues I have seen in this font:
  •  the B, J, U, 0(zero) and Y glyphs feel really off for me. It feels really awkward visually.
  •  the top part of the glyphs. Should I constrain their angles all together or it's fine right now?

I'm open to honest critiques, I have good plans on this font that's why I want to improve this a lot more.

Looking forward to critiques. Good day!

Comments

• Linus RomerLinus Romer Posts: 185
    edited August 2020
    I generally like the appearence of your typeface!

You could consider making (most of the) bowls thinner as they are imho too heavy in comparison with the stems. The varying darkness of the different glyphs could also be the problem of the characters you mentioned.

The dynamics of the stems are not consistent: Shouldn't the stems of V, Y, ... grow more from thin to thick?

The curves of P, D, S are quite smooth but the curves of O, Q, U, 0 have little bumps. Consider smoothing them, too.
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited August 2020
    Your hunches are good, B needs to be less dramatic (now it reads as P — and P needs to have more room below the bowl so as not to be read as D).
    U needs more balance/symmetry.
    Maybe you could have a J with top stroke?
    Zero needs more light (it can have lighter strokes than O due to the cross-stroke).
  • Your hunches are good, B needs to be less dramatic (now it reads as P — and P needs to have more room below the bowl so as not to be read as D).
    U needs more balance/symmetry.
    Maybe you could have a J with top stroke?
    Zero needs more light (it can have lighter strokes than O due to the cross-stroke).
    About the J, do you think it would still fit well with the rest considering I doesnt have a top stroke?

• John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    and P needs to have more room below the bowl so as not to be read as D

Agreed!