Segnieur Serif Display Italics

Hello all!
I'm building my first set of italics to earlier released Segnieur Serif Display ( https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/paavola-type-studio/segnieur-serif-display/ )
Could you please point out if you see something all wrong with any glyph? Anything too light or too chunky? Any deal-breakers?

Thank you!

Black:

Bold:

Light:

Regular:

Medium:

Comments

• Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    Bring more weight further into the extenders of /2/3/5/6/9/ (or consider adding a terminal of some kind). Should crossbars of /f/t/ be beefier? A more staid /J/ might be useful, at least as an alternate. Did you consider a one-story /g/? Teardrops of /c/s/x/ could be darker in the heavier weights.
  • v w y z  appear to be out of place, especially w is a no-brainer. J seems to be too freakish, whereas Q lacks vigour (in the tail part).
    The et is quite nice but too light.
    You may wish to do some actual text samples in order to verify critical bits.
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 723
    /g has a flat tyre. Needs pumping. /J doesn't fit. Symbols are phoning it in.
  • Bring more weight further into the extenders of /2/3/5/6/9/ (or consider adding a terminal of some kind). Should crossbars of /f/t/ be beefier? A more staid /J/ might be useful, at least as an alternate. Did you consider a one-story /g/? Teardrops of /c/s/x/ could be darker in the heavier weights.
    Thank you Craig! Crossbars beefier, definitely a bit. More staid /J is actually as alternate already, I guess I move them around. Teardrops darker as well. About the extenders of numerals, you've got a point, maybe not terminals though.
    Thank you again!
  • v w y z  appear to be out of place, especially w is a no-brainer. J seems to be too freakish, whereas Q lacks vigour (in the tail part).
    Thank you for the feedback Andreas! Agree on /J, will change. What I don't understand is your comment on v w y z and the no-brainer part.
    But thanks!
  • /g has a flat tyre. Needs pumping. /J doesn't fit. Symbols are phoning it in.
    Thank you Simon!
    /g has been most problematic in this process, but I agree, needs pumping. :)
     /J will be changed. Symbols phoning it in? Care to explain, don't get it?
    But thanks!
  • Here's alt /J changed, and lining figures of light cut

• Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 723
    What I mean by "symbols are phoning it in" is that monoline #^_=+<>/\| don't seem designed for this particular font. I feel like they need some degree of weight balancing with the instances. (And with the -, which seems to have a weight all of its own).
  • Shouldn't it say Seigneur?
  • Shouldn't it say Seigneur?

Thank you for the feedback Andreas! Agree on /J, will change. What I don't understand is your comment on v w y z and the no-brainer part.
    But thanks!
    The right bowl on /w has far too little weight, and should match the left bowl.
    /v and /y are lighter than other letters, as they contain a lot of negative space (v in its counter, y on its left sidebearing). /x looks fine to me personally.
    But thanks!
    The right bowl on /w has far too little weight, and should match the left bowl.
    /v and /y are lighter than other letters, as they contain a lot of negative space (v in its counter, y on its left sidebearing). /x looks fine to me personally.
    Thank You Matthijs!
  • I'd be careful, you chose some dangerous source material for this.
  • I'd be careful, you chose some dangerous source material for this.
    What?
  • Nathan ZimetNathan Zimet Posts: 76
    edited July 2020
    is the right arm of the lowercase w too thick in the regular weight
  • Both the roman and italic are eerily similar to Quarto. This isn’t to criticize but to warn.
  • Both the roman and italic are eerily similar to Quarto. This isn’t to criticize but to warn.
    While drawing Segnieur, I've studied Quarto, but also Garamond, Caslon, Tiempos and various other classic serif families. Some letterforms might be similar but details of Quarto makes it entirely different IMHO