Inferior characters

I received an enquiry about scientific inferior capitals, both Greek and Latin, which seem to be used in some matters. I haven’t been aware of this up till now, I only did .sup capitals for one typeface occasionally. The official feature definition does not mention them either. So I wonder how common or uncommon this may be, and if anyone knows of any noteworthy implementation in text fonts, or even samples of usage in running text.

Comments

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Brill have asked me to extend the subscript sets in their fonts to include a full complement of upper- and lowercase Latin and Greek.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    full character sets

Be sure to leave out the super and subscripts, though, or you'll never finish the font. :smile:

• edited May 2020
    I’ll never understand the difference between the sinf feature and subs feature.

The text for sinf only mentions substituting figures and lowercase letters but the text for subs says it can substitute or shift down any glyph.

A quick search shows subscripts capitals are used in electronic notation, for example in Crecraft and Gorham (2008), Electronics, p. 68 [on Google Books]:
    A capital letter with a capital subscript refers to a d.c. quantity (e.g. V<sub>AB</sub>).
    [...]
    A lower-case letter with a capital subscript referes to the instantaneous value of the total voltage (e.g. v<sub>AB</sub>).

• I’ll never understand the difference between the sinf feature and subs feature.
    Nor do I.

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,731
    Or maybe *less* after they changed their mind. Heh.

Not trying to throw stones btw. Adobe made plenty of dumb mistakes in early feature registrations, and certainly more than Microsoft. ('crcy' anyone? sigh.)
  • The sinf feature was intended for subscripts that sit partly below the baseline, as used in e.g. chemistry, while the subs feature was intended for subscripts that sit on the baseline.
    Why is there no hint towards this concept in the definitions available? Have I overlooked something?

Hmmm, I may have switched 'sinf' and 'subs' in my description earlier. Not meaning to contradict John on that part—I honestly don’t recall which one was which, since in the end they became ~ synonymous! Ah, good times.
  • So the two are basically the same; what is the preferable one to apply? Are there known issues with either of them in certain applications?
    I favour subs, and really only include sinf (pointing at the subs lookup) because it wasn't formally deprecated.
    Same.
  • Piotr GrochowskiPiotr Grochowski Posts: 91
    edited June 2020
    You also have to be careful about including superscripts and subscripts recursively. Be sure to test them out when including them.

The css style would be:
    <style type="text/css">
    sup {
        font-feature-settings: "sups";
        vertical-align: 0;
        font-size: 100%;
    }
    sup sup {
        font-feature-settings: "ordn", "sups";
    }
    sup sup sup {
        font-feature-settings: "numr", "ordn", "sups";
    }
    sup sup sub {
        font-feature-settings: "dnom", "ordn", "sups";
    }
    sup sub {
        font-feature-settings: "sinf", "sups";
    }
    sup sub sup {
        font-feature-settings: "numr", "sinf", "sups";
    }
    sup sub sub {
        font-feature-settings: "dnom", "sinf", "sups";
    }
    sub {
        font-feature-settings: "subs";
    }
    sub sup {
        font-feature-settings: "ordn", "subs";
    }
    sub sup sup {
        font-feature-settings: "numr", "ordn", "subs";
    }
    sub sup sub {
        font-feature-settings: "dnom", "ordn", "subs";
    }
    sub sub {
        font-feature-settings: "sinf", "subs";
    }
    sub sub sup {
        font-feature-settings: "numr", "sinf", "subs";
    }
    sub sub sub {
        font-feature-settings: "dnom", "sinf", "subs";
    }
    </style>
  • @Piotr Grochowski, you should use font-variant instead of font-feature-settings, or specifically font-variant-position for superscripts or subscripts.

• @Piotr Grochowski, you should use font-variant instead of font-feature-settings, or specifically font-variant-position for superscripts or subscripts.

I don't get how that would help. How would you stack superscripts and subscripts?
  • edited June 2020
    How would you stack superscripts and subscripts?

With a font with a MATH table I guess.

Are there actually any fonts that hijack the ordn, sups, subs, sinf features to do superscripts of superscrips, superscripts of subscripts, subscripts of superscripts or subscripts of subscripts?

I’m doing some updates to the Brill types, and one of the things requested is secondary super- and subscript numerals. The approach we've taken is that the numerals have to be encoded as the Unicode superior and inferior numeral characters, and then have the appropriate sups or subs feature applied to them. 
    • We have Latin lowercase superscript a–z completely encoded (although scattered over several places)
    • We have most of Cyrillic lowercase superscript and subscripts encoded, mainly in the 1E030 block
    • Of Greek lowercase we have only a very few letters encoded as superscript modifiers.
    I understand that these char. groups have got their encoding with the background of phonetics in the first place. But now I stumble across Greek superscript letters in mathematics, which are not encoded.
    Wouldn’t it be logical and sensible to complete the sup.s and sub.s sets in the UCS once and for all, instead of labouring about it again and again over decades? – Just wondering (not the first time) why there is so much inconsistency in the UCS.

The math equations you show can all be handled using math fonts and software without direct encoding of superscripts and subscripts. The multi-line equations you show in the first image require such fonts and software.
  • Andreas StötznerAndreas Stötzner Posts: 768
    edited March 2023
    Thank you John, I see your point and I was aware of the fact that math composing is different. However, what if such letters appear also in a bit of running text (like in the 2nd image)? What if they occur in matters other than mathematical equations? What if adressing those sub.s and sup.s by OT function is not ideal?
    It is the usual question about where one should draw the line in encoding sets of characters, as distinct from encoding discrete attested characters. When it comes to superscript and subscript alphabetic characters, Unicode has taken the approach of encoding only those that are attested with semantically distinct meaning, which means e.g. the subset that act as modifier letters in phonetic notation.
  • I know that reasoning of Unicode, of course.
    But knowing about it still doesn’t solve the obvious conundrum.