Options

Is there any open-source way to create OpenType variable fonts yet?

edited April 2020 in Type Design Software
Is anyone aware of a free and open-source solution for creating OpenType VFs? And yes, I'm well aware of the commercial solutions; I'm not interested in them. Right now, I am aware that FF has some MM support (not OT1.8) and METAFONT can create variable fonts, of course, but again, not of the OpenType variety.
[Addendum: I guess it is possible in some way to do, by creating a file manually, and the using fontmake, but this is extremely painful and not practical. But maybe that is the way to go.]
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,970
    [Addendum: I guess it is possible in some way to do, by creating a file manually, and the using fontmake, but this is extremely painful and not practical. But maybe that is the way to go.]
    But it’s free software, surely you can take advantage of your four freedoms and code something yourself.
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,977
    If you can make interpolable master instances and export them as individual UFOs, you could manually edit a designspace file, and then use FontTools to build a variable font.
  • Options
    But it’s free software, surely you can take advantage of your four freedoms and code something yourself.

Well, essentially, fontmake is a tool for compiling from ufo or glyphs format to OTF. But it has no editing capabilities. So yes, I could, but that thask would be the task of creating a font editor from scratch.
  • Options
    If you can make interpolable master instances and export them as individual UFOs, you could manually edit a designspace file, and then use FontTools to build a variable font.

Maybe this is possible with some adaptation from FF's MM support.