Ecofont, really?

Remember Ecofont? I just realized they now offer this dubious product as a subscription service. It’s hard to believe this is real, but maybe I’m too cynical?

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    I’m still sure that the entire thing is a Dutch senior thesis that got picked up by gullible members of the media.
  • One of my favourite uses of Ecofont.
    Great image, probably a god album too.
  • Dan ReynoldsDan Reynolds Posts: 172
    edited April 2020
    My favorite part is how they ripped off the image from our site! https://www.misterretro.com/filters/permanent-press/about
    Isn’t that Heidelberg built to print from a very large surface area of raised stuff (foundry and/or machine-set type and image blocks that are type-high), and not a lithographic printing press?
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    The album font is Venus (note high-waisted R and E, spurless G), and the dots have been applied to set typography, as can be observed by the variation in their postioning on the same letter.

Here is the tale of Loomis Dean’s iconic shoot.
    The concept is quite literally the famous Coward lyric, “Mad Dogs and Englishmen Go Out in the Mid-day Sun”.

The album is a live recording, and Sir Noël performs many of his best-known songs at breakneck speed with perfect elocution—such a pro. It made the Billboard top 20 in 1955.

The designer of the cover was S. Neil Fujita; Venus was a staple of his work at Columbia. 

Fujita brought the influence of modern art, including his own paintings, into his work, but rather than using them as decoration, he emphasised the concept of the cover reflecting the music or words inside. The designer Milton Glaser said Fujita "distinguished himself by having a rigorous design objective. It was a kind of synthesis of Bauhaus principles and Japanese sensibility."  

—From Guity Novin’s site, a nice reference.
  • I’m curious how the technology works because they say it only works with certain fonts. But not curious enough to pay for a subscription.
  • I’m curious how the technology works because they say it only works with certain fonts. But not curious enough to pay for a subscription.
    I suppose they just swap those fonts for their own version of those fonts, which have little holes in it to save ink. Whether that's entirely legal, I don't know.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    I suppose they just swap those fonts for their own version of those fonts, which have little holes in it to save ink. Whether that's entirely legal, I don't know.
    Holy Rollers, I assume.
  • K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    Is only one Holy Roman enough for an empire?
  • Wouldn't all those little white holes in the characters increase the amount of electricity that your monitor uses? That doesn't sound very eco-friendly.
  • Wouldn't all those little white holes in the characters increase the amount of electricity that your monitor uses? That doesn't sound very eco-friendly.
    ... not to mention the added power for processing.