Options

Display Typeface - Materialish Hue

Part of my new year's resolution is to get serious with my type design and finally publish.

This is a wide and bold take on a display typeface intended to capture some of the magic of the mid-to-late 1970s.

So far, it's intended to be only caps, but I've sketched out a lowercase.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

- Jim 

Comments

• Options
    Well, it doesn't break any new ground and it's more properly reminiscent of 70s revivals of 1930s typefaces à la Push Pin, but it's pleasing to the eye, and workmanlike in execution, especially the tasty little touches.
  • Options
    Thanks @NickCurtis. This was really a big exercise for me over a period of months. I figured for my first real typeface, I'd cut my teeth on getting the basics down: proper letterforms, good proportions, recurring motifs, reusing components, etc. before moving on to other projects.
  • Options
    It appears your hinting alignment zones are not set.
    Is /K really supposed to be this way?
  • Options
    @Adam Jagosz thanks - I didn't even look at hinting yet. I figured I needed to get more done before I do that. But after looking up an article on it - wow... it's going to be a while for me to digest all of that. I'll add it to my "to do list".

I'm not in love with the 'K'... TBH it's bothered me all along, and since you pointed it out, it tells me my instincts were right. I've been debating changing it to more of a junction. Which seems to be a much more contemporary approach.

• Options
    Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited December 2019
    As for hinting, I'm just saying add one zone for the cap height — so that your caps render at the same height (on Windows... on Mac you probably won't notice this). This is ridiculous that you have to do that, I'm wondering why the renderers were implemented that way.

Regarding /K, the structure doesn't bother me, the weight of the arm and leg compared to the stem does. Btw the arm doesn't reach the cap height. Did you draw the glyphs in Illustrator, without a grid, or is this some kind of Fraktur-esque quirk? :smiley:
  • Options
    OK - now I see what you mean. THANKS! I will look at both of those in detail!