Defending the typographic downtrodden

This appeared today on the Washington Post’s op-ed page:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/25/i-dont-care-what-others-say-this-is-typeface-me/?arc404=true

Given the rest of today's news, I wouldn't be surprised if someone suggests resetting the State of Liberty's inscription—or the Magna Carta—in Comic Sans.

Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Life is too short to debate the merits of Comic Sans any more than has been done for these many years. ;-)
  • meh ...
  • Every presidential candidate bottles up an urge to set their campaign in Comic Sans...
  • The site wants me to pay to view.
  • K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    I didn't pay to read it either but I can tell you what it says. "Why oh why do people dislike Comic Sans when they could just like it instead because fonts don't really matter. There are no good or bad fonts. All questions of taste boil down to popularity versus elitism. I am making a case for popularity and taking a stand against elitism. There are at most five fonts I can think of and this one is fun. Between me, pleading for sympathy for this font as if it were a living victim, and you, thinking that design matters, you are the obsessive psycho who cares too much about fonts. And anyway I heard it cures dyslexia so how about that."
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    Apparently a political official working for Donald Trump used Comic Sans to notify the House of Representatives that certain Administration officials would not be testifying. This being viewed as an insult, the article was written by someone who noted that while opinions can be changed, taste is an inherent quality of an individual, so it is painful to be accused of poor taste. Apparently he likes the fact that Comic Sans has generous spacing between the letters.
  • The best one though was when India sent a funeral wreath for a venerated Pakistani statesman set in Comic Sans.

• Given the rest of today's news, I wouldn't be surprised if someone suggests resetting the State of Liberty's inscription—or the Magna Carta—in Comic Sans.
    But that would be wrong. I have the original of the Magna Carta and it's clearly set in Apple Casual, not Comic Sans.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    André, well said ;-)

• John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    The best one though was when India sent a funeral wreath for a venerated Pakistani statesman set in Comic Sans.
    I find it hard to appreciate the humor of something that has a risk, even if small, of starting a war.