Postscript errors in Excel

Connor DavenportConnor Davenport Posts: 35
edited June 2019 in Font Technology
I'm stumped...has anyone else run into a problem with printing from Excel. I am noticing that when printing the Bold and other styles the file freaks out and the only thing that prints is a bunch of postscript code. Someone else noted that the glyphs in the Bold jump around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Best,
C

Comments

• Rafael SaraivaRafael Saraiva Posts: 33
    edited June 2019
    Very difficult to say from your description. Can you share the sources or at least provide more details? Which plataform? App version? CFF/TTF? Static/variable? Printer? Etc
  • I've never seen this problem on either Mac or Windows. My suggestion is to post the issue in the Support forum for your model of printer. If they don't have a user forum then contact their Tech Support. It could be a driver issue.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    Does this problem happen with a particular font, or with all fonts?

Have you tried using a different printer, but still PostScript? Does it print to non-PostScript printers? What happens if you try exporting a PDF, does it export successfully? And if so, does it print from the PDF?
  • I have had this same problem with an HP printer, but that was 10 years ago. Sometimes it would only print two lines of PS code on a page and some other lines on the next page. I'n not sure, but I think it had something to do with Word making the font bold or italic, and not using a true bold or italic
  • Very difficult to say from your description. Can you share the sources or at least provide more details? Which plataform? App version? CFF/TTF? Static/variable? Printer? Etc
    Sorry, I totally thought that I put the specs in my post. I'm running macOS 10.14, Excel 16.26, CFF fonts (Static), and using a Xerox Phaser 3330. 

Does this problem happen with a particular font, or with all fonts?

Have you tried using a different printer, but still PostScript? Does it print to non-PostScript printers? What happens if you try exporting a PDF, does it export successfully? And if so, does it print from the PDF?
    Some fonts, not all :/ I only have access to one other printer that is non-postscript and it works totally fine. I am also able to export to PDF and print from that.

Update:
    Okay, this is really strange because I restarted my computer today and it works now but I am still a bit baffled by the whole situation.
    Thanks for all your help with this.

• I work in the printing industry with Xerox printers - they are mysterious creatures.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    Sometimes weird things happen with printers.

I have a pile of about 30–40 pages resulting from a printing error, in which the printer ended up outputting the actual code being sent, instead of the results of that code. Or at least it did until I pulled the paper tray, then unplugged it to clear its memory. But as there were quite a few form-feed commands, the average spoilt page has just 4-10 characters (in lovely 12 point Courier). I have been slowly re-using this stock for drafts and proofs.
  • This is likely unrelated but I was forced to stop updating excel at version 15.41 (Mac) — every version after that looks like it's adding tracking to my text and causes all existing .xlsx files to reflow horribly.