People's choice voting now open for Morisawa competition

Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
edited May 2019 in Events
Go check out the entries and vote for your favorites here. (I'd love to see people with a good critical eye for type design like TypeDrawers readers make up a significant share of voters.)

Comments

• Jacob CasalJacob Casal Posts: 99
    The link has an error Craig, from that thing that sometimes happens where it pastes incorrectly into the hyperlink most likely. I’ll save you the trouble.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    Thanks Jacob, I fixed mine too.
    I'm used to other fora that automatically clean up pasted URLs.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,731
    I would love to vote, but the arrangement makes it too difficult.

It is great that the order changes with every page load.

But... there is no numbering or anything, even a temporary numbering for the current page load. Also no way of marking ones favored options. So you have to just scroll up and down and hope one can remember exactly how much you liked the next best option—because you are never going to find it again out of the 378 (for Latin) unnumbered and unbookmarked options available.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    edited May 2019
    The directions are confusing, but when it says
    "One vote for one typeface is valid during the voting period"
    I think it means you can't give any one typeface more than one vote, but it does NOT mean that you can only vote once overall. 
    So in other words instead of trying to remember and re-find all your "finalists" to cast your one vote, you can just vote for all of them as you discover them. That's what I did.
  • Cory MaylettCory Maylett Posts: 245
    I'm not quite sure what criterion one is supposed to use to judge. Whether I prefer this or that typeface usually depends on the context where its used. It also depends on things like, technical quality of the font, which can't really be ascertained here.

I suppose it's just a totally subjective contest based only aesthetics and personal tastes of what's shown. If that's the case, it's easy to pick out ones I don't like, but not nearly as easy to pick out the best.

Like others have said, I'm unsure whether voting on more than one of the hundreds there is doable. And if it is doable, there are hundred to choose from, which makes going back through them time and time again while keeping track of the ones already voted for as their order changes a whole lot more trouble than the effort involved.
  • I suppose it's just a totally subjective contest based only aesthetics and personal tastes of what's shown.

It's a popularity contest, so it's supposed to be subjective.

It also depends on things like, technical quality of the font, which can't really be ascertained here.
    At least some submissions are obviously bad even just judging from the tiny picture...
    Like others have said, I'm unsure whether voting on more than one of the hundreds there is doable.
    I think I just went through the entire list, as far as I can tell (at least it didn't offer me any more scrolling material). There's also a lot of duplicated (multiple weights of the same typeface).
  • George ThomasGeorge Thomas Posts: 631
    edited May 2019
    After my first (and only) vote, this message:
    "One vote for one typeface is valid during the voting period. More than one vote will not be counted as valid although multiple votes by one person might be possible on a screen."
    So one typeface only, one vote per person. That really should have been specified up front because I might have waited until I got through the entire list. So it is...
  • Nope:

I agree the pop-up message is a pretty misleading piece of Engrish, though.
  • I have to say that for a venue that set as its goal to raise the “quality bar” there is quite a number of amateurish and ugly “typefaces”… :-(
  • In fact the People's Choice results have generally made me think of... bad sushi.
  • There may be some poorly prepared fugu as choices, but I believe Craig noted his hope was for the critical TypeDrawers users to tip the odds away from those being served as the main dishes.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,731
    Of course there are some amateur works. It is an open competition: anybody can enter. I think that is a fine thing. The question is, which works do the judges choose to honor?
  • True, they put themselves out there and offer themselves that much more opportunity to improve and refine their skills.
  • Of course there are some amateur works. It is an open competition: anybody can enter. I think that is a fine thing.
    Agreed, but the problem isn't what's submitted, it's what populism ends up putting on the pedestal.
  • How much do the main judges interact with the people’s choice award? Looking closer there appears to be the peoples choice and an optional, higher standard Akashi award.
  • Claudio PiccininiClaudio Piccinini Posts: 677
    edited June 2019
    Agreed, but the problem isn't what's submitted, it's what populism ends up putting on the pedestal.
    It’s all good: I just voted by mistake a  random typeface made out of “pixels”… LOL
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    So is seeing most of the fonts with the same sample text and some random ones with others.