That license infringement monitoring/DMCA service aka Fontdata aka TypeSnitch

Lars SchwarzLars Schwarz Posts: 114
edited October 2018 in Type Business
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of completely relaunching what some of you already know by the name Fontdata or TypeSnitch.

The main objective is now DMCA takedowns and monitoring the usage of your fonts on the web. 

I'd love to discuss its details with you on TypeDrawers, but due to the nature of piracy I'd prefer to keep the discussion on specific details and how-it-works non-public. 

If you are interested in this service please drop me a line at support@fontdata.com or send me a PM here on TS.  

Comments

• Marc FoleyMarc Foley Posts: 14
    edited October 2018
    The main objective is now DMCA takedowns and monitoring the usage of your fonts on the web. 

Be careful. I attempted to release a similar service. I panned the idea after speaking to lawyers.

I used a simple BFS solution which was able to parse half a million sites a day. It took me under a day to build.

I was put off releasing the service because I want to sleep easy at night. Chances are quite high you'll get sued/be sent multiple cease and desists. Even if you've done nothing illegal and have made a kosher bot/system, people won't like what you're doing. Do you have the funds and headspace to take on these situations? even if you're in the clear, court is expensive.
  • Hi Marc, thanks for the heads up, but our system works a little bit different and is actually running for some years now. 
  • JoyceKettererJoyceKetterer Posts: 792
    edited October 2018
  • What's bfs?
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Breadth-first search algorithm, I presume.