Breaking point for Hairline weight?

Based on your experience, is there a stem width threshold for hairline weights that is no longer functional (considering it's typically used for display)? In other words, what is the minimum width you've been able to create a hairline at before the line starts to distort or cause problems at smaller point sizes or on the grid?

I'm experimenting between 10 to 14 units, and though I like the thinner option, 10 starts to seem a bit frail in some applications (ok if set at a very large display size). Just curious what others have found.
Tagged:

Comments

• I used 5 unit hairlines for the large size of my Barteldes family. I tried to do four but that was causing some terminals to end on undesirable angles.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I tried to do four but that was causing some terminals to end on undesirable angles.
    Perhaps that would no longer be an issue now that it is possible to use fractional UPM coordinates?

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    You might want to bump up your UPM to avoid kinking
  • Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 250
    Yes, a UPM increase may help. So far, in a few early drawing tests I haven't run into noticeable kinking problems. But that's at the 14 unit width.

It's a large, display sans with a tall x-height, so the line still feels pretty fine but not frail at this size. If I dip more towards 10 (or 5, as James mentions), I suppose I'd see more evident kinking/jumping of handles as I get further along.
  • I tried to do four but that was causing some terminals to end on undesirable angles.
    Perhaps that would no longer be an issue now that it is possible to use fractional UPM coordinates?

I tried that but it caused other problems with overlaps interpolating into factional coordinates that didn’t quite match up.
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited October 2018
    Wasn't there a certain relation between ink drops/paper adhesion and stroke width? I have read so much about it that I have forgotten it completely.
  • Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 250
    edited October 2018
    Do you mean decimal coordinates? Would be nice if they are generally acceptable, though I think I've heard elsewhere that they can be problematic with some printer outputs (but ok for the majority of situations).
  • Wasn't there a certain relation between ink drops/paper adhesion and stroke width? 
    It seems like that would vary by the paper, press, and ink used. 
  • Michael JarboeMichael Jarboe Posts: 265
    edited October 2018
    I've used 5 and 6 unit values recently, and have seen 4 unit value hairline executed successfully, but I wouldn't be concerned with rendering below a certain large display point size, naturally. There are drawbacks to a larger UPM or fractional coordinates. I recently have come to accept the masochistic nature of merging font outlines on a 1000UPM grid in the lightest of weights. Merging outlines especially with angled intersecting stems requires varying degrees of compromise once the points snap to grid. These issues exist regardless of stem width, but of course are exacerbated the narrower the stems become or again at what angle they intersect.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Raise the UPM (of a copy)before you blend outlines with the hairline.