Font editor for your Iphone

Hi you brilliant designers!

Claus from fontdesignR. We have just put out a new font editor for the smartphone, only for the Iphone at the moment. It's called "fontdesignR" and it is on release sale for 2.99$ only this week. I know you are really picky of all the stuff you can put on you phone, so go have a look in the store:

//itunes.apple.com/us/app/fontdesignr/id1326846728?ls=1&mt=8

We have set up a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9KPKYG5cgytePrlv08jqqw

As we have just released, every comment is appreciated as we strife to make the tool tailored especial for you guys 
Tagged:

Comments

• Claus OelandClaus Oeland Posts: 3
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Ray.

This is an early release hence the price. We are aware of a ton of features that we want to incorporate, one of which is writing with your font.

There is a work-around though, you can copy and paste a reference letter in. We know this is not optimal, but the primary idea behind this early release is you can concept develop on your phone, then export it as an .svg for further development, or if you are patient, it is possible to do a whole font in fontdesignR.

• Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited June 2018
    Type design requires lots of time, concentration, fine control, and attention to minute detail, all of which is antithetical to working on a phone. Computers are vastly superior to phones for type design, so as Craig says, nobody will want this.
  • Don't waste your time and skills with this. I would never use it and cannot visualize any type designer I know using it. If you really want to develop something for font development, concentrate on commercial plugins for Glyphs and RoboFont.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,946
    Phone, no. Tablet, maybe. Does it work on iPad or iPad Pro?
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your suggestions. We are so happy to tell you that all of your recommendations are in the pipeline.

Mark you are absolutely right, the grid will be scalable and snapable (that's not a word but you get what I mean), smart guides will also help to compensate for the small screen. Yes the vector handles are an Illustrator approach, the way you describe how the handles should work, is in the works

We chose to make it brighter letter on a darker background, to counteract eye fatigue as it is a lightbulp you are drawing on. More and more graphic applications has gone this direction.

Importing an image either directly from the camera or from your images to trace, is one of the future key features.

The reason why we chose to make it primarily for the phone is, you don't accidentally have your tablet with you, but you always got your phone on you.

fontdesignR is to begin with not a replacement for your desktop app, but a supplement. It is ment to be a concept development tool where you can experiment where ever you are, even if you don't have a sketchbook with you.

We know we have some BIG challenges ahead of us, but as of what we can read, there is no "sinkholes" we have not thought of.

Again thank you so much for writing it is highly appreciated.
  • Designing fonts on smart phones is so 2007! You really should be working on font design with Augmented Reality or Virtual Reality head sets. Just think a font, make a font. Or, better yet: don’t think a font.

• The reason why we chose to make it primarily for the phone is, you don't accidentally have your tablet with you, but you always got your phone on you.

fontdesignR is to begin with not a replacement for your desktop app, but a supplement. It is ment to be a concept development tool where you can experiment where ever you are, even if you don't have a sketchbook with you.

That seems like a pretty exotic situation to build on. For me, Laptop >> sketchbook >> phone app, and sketchbooks aren't exactly rare in most parts of the world.

It sounds like you're trying to sell underwater plastic surgery kits for scuba divers. You make it sound like there should exist cases where it's better to have one than not to, but you'd be wrong, given that getting plastic surgery on dry land is an option and it will always be the better option.

We know we have some BIG challenges ahead of us, but as of what we can read, there is no "sinkholes" we have not thought of.
    You mean apart from the fact that your market niche does not exist? You must have one heck of a motivational poster on your wall.
  • If this is intended as a supplement, I would want it to work seamlessly with existing font design applications. If one can export to a UFO instead of an SVG, then it *might* be appealing to professional typeface designers who don't always have a sketchbook on them. But as others have noted, that seems like a small number—at least if you want to release something very soon. In the future, it's possible that as the younger generation of phone-savvy typeface designers emerges, they may ditch sketchbooks entirely.

Given that this is a small number, it may make more sense to focus on a broader market. Illustrators/lettering artists, as Craig suggested. And in which case an SVG may make perfect sense, but then you'd want to change the name of the editor. 
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 418
    edited June 2018
    As a hobbyist and someone who creates on my iPhone and iPad all the time, I love the idea of this and will purchase later this week. I would love it to be a universal app so I can switch between iPhone and iPad seamlessly with syncing provided by iCloud. I spend about 3 hours a day on public transport, so a phone-based way to make some letters seems very cool. Is there a way to export the files to Glyphs or other editors? I don't have any right now, but aim on buying Glyphs when I can. 

Anyway, the points raised by others are valid, but if there are others like me so are no pro type designers but who have a keen interest and use mobile devices a lot then there could be a market.