Typophile tries to infect me

I don't know if someone from here writes there, but every time that I try to open Typophile, my Avast blocks a JS:Miner-Q[Trj]. This only happens on my PC, which might mean my smartphone got infected without me noticing it.

Comments

• Oof, that sounds pretty frustrating. @James Todd @Tiffany Wardle is this something you can look into? 
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    Do you mean Typedrawers?
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited June 2018
    No, Typophile. I can't write there or see where the contact info is because of the virus, but I can imagine some people that run Typophile also write here.
  • Erwin DenissenErwin Denissen Posts: 291
    edited June 2018
    I confirm Typophile is infected. Please fix the issue.
  • @Erwin Denissen Typophile is its own separate thing. TypeDrawers is only related to Typophile by subject. You should contact them on Twitter or via email.
  • @Ray Larabie but your comment makes it gold.
    I honestly thought some people do double duty as mods on both places. Sorry for the commotion!  :(
  • Don't feel bad.
  • Yeah, don't feel bad, Vasil, there's no harm in asking. 
  • Jens KutilekJens Kutilek Posts: 338
    I alerted Typophile via Twitter, but no response so far.
  • @Vasil Stanev No worries. Really! I'll email Jared about this too. 
  • I'll email Jared about this too. 
    Very nice of you!
    I'm not worried at all, just my choice of words was not good enough. ;)

BTW I looked into the matter, the virus under that name is actually a Trojan written to mine bitcoins on PC's, and most probably can't infect android phones (probably). Typical symptoms include slowing of the PC up to 70%, lag, tardiness of windows closing etc.. It's a resource hog, and not a spy- or ransomware - as far as I could make out of it. I got no infection.

• Thanks @Typophile (I was just about to reply on Twitter.)
  • So if I visited Typophile using a Win-10 system, do I need to do anything?

And thank you TypeDrawers for accommodating us, and supporting a sister (mother? :-) forum.
  • Erwin DenissenErwin Denissen Posts: 291
    edited June 2018
    @Erwin Denissen Typophile is its own separate thing. TypeDrawers is only related to Typophile by subject. You should contact them on Twitter or via email.
    I know, but I thought this was the best way to make other people aware about the issue, and that would allow them to get in touch with typophile. That seems to have worked.

The site seems rather abandoned since the "redesign", but it still contains some good old posts.

I'm glad to know the took care of the linked javascript issue ;-)

Now where can I collect my part of the bitcoin mining loot?
    edited June 2018
    I do mine there  :):):) - I mine the old threads for valuable information on peculiar type cases, like notable foundries and things like smallcaps italic Eth, proper use of soft hyphens, the name of the symbol at the end of a newspaper article, and so on :# . Call it a curious hobby, but better than facebooking. Trying to understand how we got to where we are now. It's like going trough a link graveyard.

The site itself is extremely heavy for a mostly text-based one.
    edited June 2018
    ...like this little gem  :D  

Dr. Johnson has come to ask the royal for patronage of his dictionary...

George: "So, Dr. Johnson. Sit ye down. Now, this book of yours...tell me, what's it all about?"

Dr. Johnson: "It is a book about the English language, sir."

George: "I see! And the hero's name is what?"

...later on in the discussion...

Dr. Johnson: "...No-one gets murdered, or married, or in a tricky situation over a pound note!"

George: "Well, now, look, Dr. Johnson, I may be as thick as a whale omelette, but even *I* know a book's got to have a *plot*."

Dr. Johnson: "Not this one, sir. It is a book that tells you what English words *mean*."

George: "I *know* what English words mean -- I *speak* English! You must be a bit of a thicko." 

• Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    Thank to this I've just updated my account there and am looking at a few posts. :-D