Options

Phinney’s TheFontDetective.com

Because there are always more forgeries, disputed point sizes, and bad typography, I have been forced to create a web site to promote my font detective services. https://thefontdetective.com

I have been meaning to do this for a while, but getting FontLab VI out the door was a major undertaking.

The front page is in pretty good shape. My web designer is still working on the visual presentation of other pages, but content should be pretty solid. Feedback welcome! 

NOTE: Most of the good aspects of the design/presentation are thanks to Josh Korwin (http://blog.threestepsahead.com/)—the less impressive aspects are doubtless all my fault.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Happy Hunting,  Thomas :-)
  • Options
    "Just the fonts, ma'am."

Best of luck with it!
  • Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,748
    "Just the fonts, ma'am."

I definitely need to find a chance to use that.
  • Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,379
    I tweeted about this and got this response. It's time to go microphone shopping.

Yo this should be a podcast I would defo subscribe. Mystery Show but with fonts. https://t.co/rldZzJKcyT

— Æbbie (@zeroanaphora) April 28, 2018
  • Options
    Ori Ben-DorOri Ben-Dor Posts: 383
    Yeah, I was hoping it would eventually lead to a detective novel too :)
    Good luck, Thomas!
  • Options
    Yes, an adult version of this delightful thing:
  • Options
    I'll be waiting for the Maltese Ligature with Sam Serif
  • Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,970
    Knowing Thomas his detective stories would involve the identification of strange types in stranger books that cause strange madness.
  • Options
    Well, it's A murder weapon... But is it The murder weapon?
  • Options
    I thought id was Murder She Wrote ;-)

• Options
    Make it squishier. In advocacy, people respond more to stories than to lists of features. I’d personally move some of the blog posts about cases you’ve worked on (such as the Pakistan story) more front-and-centre on the site. They work well both as testimonials about the kind of work you do and as ways of drawing human interest and attention to your services.
  • Options
    Hey Simon,

Thanks for the suggestion. My initial thought is that this site isn't so much intended for publicity purposes, as to actually be aimed at potential clients. They have a specific problem and are trying to figure out if there is somebody (perhaps me) who can help them solve it.

That said, human interest and intriguing cases probably make for a more interesting site. I'll think about whether there's a better way to strike a balance on that.
  • Options
    Would you like title suggestions for your cases?

"A Scandal in Bodoni"

"The Five Orange Tittles"

When faced with a low quality font rip-off: "The Baskerville of the Hounds".
  • Options
    "Ten Little Lydians"

• Options
    Don't forget your badge, Thomas:
  • Options
    One of my talk proposals for TypeCon was a fresh font detective talk! But with 20 min there would not be much time.
  • Options
    Are you counting the commercial breaks?
  • Options
    SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    "Terminal Design's Greatest Hits" ;-)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Rob BarbaRob Barba Posts: 86
    Looks good, but were you aware that at the bottom of the front page you've still got a date error?

Copyright © [oceanwp_date]

• Options
    Ack. Thanks. I will have to take care of that!
  • Options
    Fixed
  • Options
    Rob BarbaRob Barba Posts: 86
    Looking good!