Open source font tester?

Hi there,
In the coming months I will re-design my website and I would like to know if there is an Open Source or commercial Font Tester out there you can recommend? I'd rather not choose rented systems like the one offered by P. Bilak.
I remember I saw one in the past but I can't find it anymore.
TIA.

Comments

• Type Show is stand alone widget and GPL Licenced. http://typeshow.net
  • ah, cool. That is the one I was looking for. Can anybody tell about its performace? It looks like it can't deal with OT features...
  • Do you have web fonts?
  • RalfRalf Posts: 170
    If you need OpenType features: http://www.type-applications.com/site/ft.php

Real type rendering in the browser is certainly the way to go in the future.
  • @Göran: I don't offer webfonts directly in my website but I have the webkits for my use.
    Anyway, they are offered in Fontdeck, Myfonts and Fontshop.

@Ralf: What I don't like about the Type-Applications tester is that it is a renting scheme (and also you must use iframes)
  • If you have your fonts as webfonts, you could easy make a live type tester using the actual webfonts.

We have a super simple solution for this, but you could also make the OT-features available.

http://lettersfromsweden.se/typetester
    http://lettersfromsweden.se/typetester
    BTW: The interface does fool me.
    The actual lines say »Click to change (the font)«, so I click them and expect to be able to change the text. Then I even see a selection there and - again - expect to be able to type to overwrite that selection. But it doesn't work. I am supposed to use the smaller input field above.

It would probably be more intuitive to make the texts itself changeable.
  • Göran SöderströmGöran Söderström Posts: 117
    edited February 2013
    You are supposed to click to change the font, that is how our whole webpage is built at the moment. It’s main purpose is to show all our fonts.

Above there is a box: "Type here..."

But I’m also thinking of updating it to something similar as http://www.mckltype.com/retail/fort/
    which I think is an even smoother way of changing both text and fonts.
    edited February 2013
    Sure, I figured it out after a while. It just didn't behave the way I expected it.
    If it's live web type anyway, than that MCKL way should be no problem. Having an additional input box was only necessary for bitmap renderings.

If anyone is wondering how that that text scaling is done in Göran’s last link. That's “BigText”. I wrote an article about it a while ago: http://opentype.info/blog/2012/07/05/webtext-100-percent-width/
  • I like it Göran. When I start planning my new website, I will contact you. Thanks.
  • Göran, do you use a webfont generator/exporter on your store? I'm looking for a php solution in this thread
    Best
    Rodrigo
  • No, I manually craft the webfonts and sell them as regular font files plus send them to our partner Fontdeck who have font hosting service.

Why would you need a generator/exporter?
  • In order for the coders/designers to be able to control the output such as subsetting for example. Do you think that's overkill?
  • A subsetter would surely be nice! We don’t have an automatic one at this moment. Instead we provide it upon request.

But I think the master webfont should be crafted manually first, and that is the main and most important work.
  • Can you describe the process you go through for this (crafting the master webfont)?
  • In short:
    - Convert the PS-outlines to TT-outlines
    - TT-Hinting (Manual or Half-manual depending of the type of use)
    - Stripping OT-features if necessary
    - Remove some of the least important kerning pairs to save file size
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Revolutionary

Who said that was revolutionary? Rodrigo asked and I answered how I create a professional webfont from a Postscript source file.

Those kind of comments you just pulled remind me a lot of the bullshit on Typophile.
  • Thanks Göran!
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    I just deleted a few off topic comments. Please keep the conversation to actual topics of the thread.
  • Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
    edited March 2013
    Just to let you know, guys that Pablo Impallari programmed for me a custom Font Tester with full OT coverage. Warning: It makes use of webfonts (my account in Fontdeck was very useful). But It works and well.
  • But not cross browser then, huh?
  • Thanks Ramiro for commissioning this fun little project!
    It was my pleasure to play around with Medusa.

Latest Firefox and Chrome: Full support. Tested.
    Latest Safari: Only kern, liga and calt at this moment. Tested. (Hopefully more in the future)
    Latest IE10: Full support, at least in theory. Not yet tested.

His main concern was to have 'kern', 'liga' and 'calt' turned on. So, we are covered on that ones.
  • Nice!
  • Shahab SiavashShahab Siavash Posts: 141
    edited March 2017
    Type Show is stand alone widget and GPL Licenced. http://typeshow.net
    I don't know this post is going to see any updates or not and anybody receive notifications or not. But I'm gonna say the TypeShow is wonderful in my opinion. I could not run it but when I test it it was simple and fast.

The big advantage I guess is you can not (or I couldn't) find fonts files. Almost every single font tester (even the big ones, big foundries and font sellers) is vulnerable and I don't know that they know that or not. Select a font and the user can extract the font and download it. I know people "should not" do that, but they still doing it. 
    Ramiro Espinoza said:
    Just to let you know, guys that Pablo Impallari programmed for me a custom Font Tester with full OT coverage. Warning: It makes use of webfonts (my account in Fontdeck was very useful). But It works and well.
    For example in this case (re-type.com), you can download all the fonts in couple of minutes which I think was not the purpose of creating a font tester. 

Really like to have this topic going live again. :)
  • Thanks. Actually that was not compatible with Wordpress, but with this clue I have searched and again searched until I found the Wordpress plugin. It is amazing what @Johannes Neumeier has done! Brilliant! I think it has all the options even RTL and alignment. Just some styles and problems with my Persian Wordpress which I am going to make it work :)
  • Great to hear it's useful to you! In fact, the Wordpress plugin internally wraps the specimenTools library Dave mentioned above, so for anybody wanting to code their own solution I can highly recommend it as a basis to start hacking. My plugin has the obvious detriment (or advantage) of being platform specific to Wordpress ;)
    There's a bunch of ideas for improvements on my list for the Wordpress plugin, but if you find anything in particular (esp. in regards to Persian, which I have zero experience with) feel free to message me here or open a ticket, so we can implement it for the benefit of all users.
  • Great to hear it's useful to you! In fact, the Wordpress plugin internally wraps the specimenTools library Dave mentioned above, so for anybody wanting to code their own solution I can highly recommend it as a basis to start hacking. My plugin has the obvious detriment (or advantage) of being platform specific to Wordpress ;)
    There's a bunch of ideas for improvements on my list for the Wordpress plugin, but if you find anything in particular (esp. in regards to Persian, which I have zero experience with) feel free to message me here or open a ticket, so we can implement it for the benefit of all users.
    Thanks a lot. Yay! I did send an email and I will open a ticket on Github as well. :)
  • I am making one using node.js.
    Hope MS let me open-source it.