Neris Sans - needs genre and closer look (polish)

Eimantas PaškonisEimantas Paškonis Posts: 91
edited February 2013 in Type Design Critiques

I intend this for a paragraph-length copy. Quotes, openings etc. Originally it was an upright italic, but everything changed except /e slanted crossbar. My first font being made with Glyphs which is beyond awesome. Won't be going back to FontLab.

Still needs lot of work. Especially more complex letters (/a is boring). And Bold Master needs darkening to create greater diversity and reduce fence effect. At this moment counters are too similar to stems and spaces. When this is finished I'll be doing italics. In what genre does this fit in?

pdf: f.cl.ly/items/37250L1E1E1V1F1M2j0e/Neris.pdf

Comments

• A quick review:
    • The most obvious problems are distinguishable in the darkest weight. The biggest issue is, to my eyes, the discrepancy between rounded and squarish/stressed shapes (eg. the bowl of /a has tension in the upper left, but /n /e and /s are more distressed. /y's diagonals meet smoothly, whereas /i's semi-serif contradicts that characteristic. &c.). It's a problem I know well enough when I start a typeface. Brainstorming is not advisable when practiced directly on font editors. Not at all... Choose fewer details and echoe those across the other characters.
    • I'm not sure about the slight concavity of /v /N /A.
    • /G's top is too short.
    • /h, /b and /q's inktrap is too pronounced.
    • /x doesn't look good to me. Again, it collides with the rest of the design concept(s). If that shape searches for an alternative for inktrap placement, it does work as such, but not conceptually/aesthetically.
    • The ampersand needs to be restructured. It is well balanced in color, but it has three different, rigid directions.
    • I like the /g and /Q.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What about genre?
  • @James - Can't see no reason to agree because terminals are identical between all of them, while /e and /s diagonals are of the same angle.
  • /e and /s do relate more to each other than /a to each of them. I'd first try slanting the top curve of /a's bowl like /e.

Top of /s is too straight towards the terminal IMO.
  • Michael ClarkMichael Clark Posts: 138
    edited February 2013
    I think if you look at the fifth line of the graphic the "soft heart" points up Jame's observation. There is a disconnect. The e seems to be more of a recalcitrant, but the flat top of the bowl of the a is problematic also.