What, no Covfefe font yet?

I’m surprised. Google has nothing, not even a freebie.

But if you’re wracking your brains for new typeface names and draw the line at trumpery, here are some ideas from a June 1968 ad in Art Direction magazine:

Comments

• Chris DChris D Posts: 76
    edited June 2017
    Say what you want about the man but that signature is dynamite... This guy is a high energy covfefe drinker.

Which always reminds me of the famous Plessey Company logo:

edited June 2017
    I also think we need Drumpf Gothic in blackletter!
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    If you are looking for the 1906 Earthquake in San Francisco, you are slipping in the right direction ;-)

• SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    It's what plants crave. 
  • Paul MillerPaul Miller Posts: 273
    I also think we need Drumpf Gothic in blackletter!
    I will start work on it right away, and yes it will support cyrilic (just the ones in WGL4).

• Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Now, if you could weaponize it with some code that would blow up the computer of any neo-nazi who attempts to use it.

Or at least, mess with the text like Amy Papaelias: http://typographica.org/on-typography/handwriting-fonts-with-something-to-say/
    edited June 2017
    Now, if you could weaponize it with some code that would blow up the computer of any neo-nazi who attempts to use it.

Or at least, mess with the text like Amy Papaelias: http://typographica.org/on-typography/handwriting-fonts-with-something-to-say/
    Like replacing the string 'Holy Quran' with 'Ancient Book of Fairy Tales'.  :)

• Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    At the very least, “Trump” would always be rendered as “Drumpf”, on brand.
    I would recommend putting that in the <rlig> feature, so that it can’t be turned off, rather than <calt> or <liga>.
    I'm OK with the Latin characters for a gothic font, I have already traced the outlines of a suitable set of letters from photographs of contemporaneous documents, they need a lot of tidying up but thats OK.

What I have a problem with is the fact that Cyrillic has changed a lot since the 14th century.  I only have one example of the lettering and it is only a scrap with not many characters.  But the letters appear very different from what they should be according to the translation.

I wonder if it would be better to butcher some modern Cyrillic characters to look Gothic or to go with the actual letterforms from that era which most Russians won't understand.

If anyone has any links to photos of old Cyrillic documents I would be grateful.

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    @Paul Miller: The Cyrillic alphabet went through an alphabet reform under Peter the Great circa 1708. I think you are talking about the Old Church Slavonic style of Cyrillic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reforms_of_Russian_orthography
    Yes I know about the reform, that is the problem, some old characters were removed from use and some new characters were introduced and some characters were changed.

I think i will just butcher modern Cyrillic to make it look like a Gothic style and add a few of the ancient characters which were taken out by Peter the Great.

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    But why would a Putin era require Slavonic or anything prior to the 20th Century? The point of this topic is Trump and Putin, not Peter the Great.
    МДКЭ ДМЭЯIСД GЯЭДТ ДGДIИ
    I heard that Trump has just signed an Executive Order banning all varieties of cheese except parmesan to make America grate again.

The Я character was introduced by Peter the Great and the Д character was triangular similar to an A character in the 14th Century.   :D
  • @Christian Thalmann my eyes!

Ўай нот сўич то ҙе беттер элфебет проперли наў ҙет ўи ар эт ит?

• Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited June 2017
    [aj əˈsɯwm jɻ̩ ɻiˈfɝːɻɪŋ tʰɯw ˌajpʰiːˈej]?
    @Christian Thalmann my eyes!

¿ Qué ?

• Ճասթ րիիտ իթ:
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Paul —
    “Why not switch to the better alphabet properly now that we are at it?”
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited June 2017
    @Christian Thalmann my eyes!

Eja meore, ¿coſcod non berdime ad ſuebrore an lionga?
    [eːj meər] [kɑʃˈkɑ nɑm bɛrdiːm a dzyˈbroːr əm bliŋ]
    But why would a Putin era require Slavonic or anything prior to the 20th Century? The point of this topic is Trump and Putin, not Peter the Great.
    Well I wanted to do a Gothic or a Blackletter or a Fraktur for a while and the suggestion that it would be amusing to do a Drumph Gothic was just the nudge I needed.

But having decided to do it I am going to do it properly and there will be no sabotage of the text using Open Type features to replace one set of words with another.