Selling fonts via subscription vs. traditional distributors

Hi All,

I know subscription platforms have been around for a few years now and I looked at this discussion: http://typedrawers.com/discussion/1342/monotype-introduces-new-font-subscription-services but wondering if anyone who sells fonts on both subscriber platforms (e.g. Typekit) and the same fonts on traditional platforms (e.g. MyFonts) has started to see any measurable pros or cons?

Noted that the ease of use/benefit for the user is pretty clear, but still wondering about the foundry.

Does the subscription model ever undercut your sales on other traditional platforms, or has there not been a measurable change. Or if there does seem to be a decrease in traditional sales, if the sales via contributing to a subscription offering make up for it. Does having your fonts available through a "less expensive" subscription model hurt your ability to attain higher or custom licensing sales?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    I sell through Typekit and the top traditional platforms. The increase in income I've received from subscription services is far greater than the decrease in income from traditional platforms. I can't detect any sales drop in web fonts because I joined Typekit at its inception which was before the traditional platforms were offering web fonts. The availability of some of my fonts in Adobe CC applications may have contributed to a drop in overall sales on traditional platforms.

I don't see how it would affect custom licensing arrangements. The traditional platforms offer various flat-rate and tiered web licenses. I don't know if it's the same as a music or video subscription service. I subscribe to those services and I've stopped renting movies and never buy albums anymore. If a designer needs a certain font for a project and it's not available on Typekit, maybe they'll still purchase it elsewhere.

• Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 250
    Thanks for sharing your experience and the insights you've gained, Ray. Seems positive overall (from an income standpoint).

Yeah, my concern with it somehow affecting custom licensing or higher priced license options (e.g. Apps) was broad. Actually, if I've seen correctly, it doesn't appear that many of the subscription platforms allow anything more than desktop or web use when you sign up... so app licensing and other custom options seem to still need an additional, separate license purchase or negotiation.