Best strategy for releasing new fonts to distributors

Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 250
edited April 2017 in Type Business
Wondering if anyone has had any measurable insights into the best practice for releasing new fonts if you have multiple distributors/resellers. Does it seem better to:

a) Release the new font to all your distributors at once and thus saturate the exposure a bit more and also begin gathering sales/royalties on it sooner.

or

b) Release the new font to all your distributors with some time between (e.g. 1 month or so). Perhaps stretching out it's fresh exposure over a longer time and maybe reaches different audiences and has more impact (rather than a buyer seeing it one place and then jumping over to another preferred shop to make the purchase).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    I'd release it to all of my distributors at the same time, unless you want some to feel like they are second-class citizens to you.
  • Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 250
    Thanks Thomas, I hear you. That crossed my mind to some degree (and is the practice I lean towards). Though I also wonder if there's a notable increase in sales with each distributor by staggering the release times, then I suppose in some ways it benefits the distributor as well, since each sale is shared.
  • To avoid ill feelings you could cycle through the distributors, giving each a turn at being first (and tell them you're doing so). Assuming they're not too big to even notice in the first place.
  • Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 250
    Thanks Hrant and George, appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.