Any of you pro colleagues have any experiences/opinions you'd be willing to share?
I'm working on a new font right now. FontForge is a great free and open source option but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with its bugs, limitations and instabilities. I just started free trials for both, RoboFont and Glyphs, but I was hoping to save some valuable time and avoid some pitfalls by learning some insights from other pro RF and Glyphs users.
Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
Below a couple things I'd be most interested to learn more about.
- Scanning/importing hand-drawn sketches
- Drawing-from-scratch experience (curves, smoothening, comparing, batch changes...)?
- Import/export options
- Ease of setting up custom and standard charsets
- Metrics/Kerning/Spacing (user-friendly metrics window, options for exceptions/pairing, lookups and group kerning)
- Grids, snaps, smoothening options
- Tweaking and additional styles (groups and batches)
- Interpolation features
- Validation features and from there quick, font-wide and/or group fixing options
- Type format options (exporting/saving)
- Speed and stability
- General limitations/advantages
- Any other tools I should look into
Thanks for any advice!