Jardin Solid

Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
edited February 2017 in Type Design Critiques
Hi friends,
here is the solid version of the ornamental font I did before. I plan to release this first with a basic set. Please critique.

the ornamental font which I eventually called Jardin:
http://typedrawers.com/discussion/1663/ornamental-initials/p1

I added more weight to some elements and changed non-letter glyphs accordingly - this is what's different. 

Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Bhikkhu PesalaBhikkhu Pesala Posts: 210
    edited February 2017
    The steepness of the serifs on E, F, L, T, Z seem a bit out of sync with those on C, G, S. I would make them all the same, maybe also the serif on the inside of the G. Digits 5 and 7 suffer from the same steep serif problem. 

The Q could use a bit more of a tail. 

• Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited February 2017
    That /Z feels strange to me, like the bottom was too short. But If it's part of the style, ignore me :) I am rarely comfortable with any S's and Z's in terms of balance.

The foot of the /t feels out of character. I understand it replicates the terminal of /f, but it feels out of place when compared to flared terminals of /e and /c.

The /a feels awkward, I'd either make the stem conform to the vertical or lean even more just to make it more "decided". I'd also add weight to the terminal, but that's just one person's taste.
  • That serif makes /F look like it plays banjo and makes moonshine with its mother and sister (and they are the same person). I don't find other letters to be negatively affected by it.
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited February 2018
    @Samuil Simonov Your F-comment from an year before is too cryptic for my tiny little brain. Please elaborate.

Does it remind somebody too much of some other font?
  • Not too much like another font. It reminds me of some hand lettered paragraphs I've seen in 1910 era advertising.

The 't' floats. I see a dark spot where the 'y' meets the baseline.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    edited February 2018
    If you’re going to keep the /t/ ascender at the same height as the regular ascenders I think you should raise the tittles.
    The crossover lowercase /w/ form is too busy. 
  • @Vasil Stanev that serif reminds me of a buck tooth in a hillbilly's mouth :)
  • There is something from Sorbonne and Cheltenham here but Jardin has its own way, I'm sure. Keep going :)
  • I think the caps are working quite nicely, but the tops don't all align. V and W are too tall, for example. The lowercase still need a lot of work. That odd curve in m and n isn't working, many of the joints look cluttered, the t is too tall and its bottom terminal doesn't fit in, you need more space in between stems and dots (i, i, !, ?), I think all lowercase should be a little wider.
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited April 2018
    Almost finished version (design-wise), without the kerning. See attached.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    The word space (space glyph) seems a bit too wide.