Changes to Reactions

13»

Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    What does "vote down" mean?
  • See, the problem with these reaction buttons is: I agree with your analysis of accountability, but I disagree with blowing up the moon, so I am not sure which button to press.

(Also, I only disagree with blowing up the moon because given the week we've all had, I think we should start the earth instead.)
  • See, the problem with these reaction buttons is: I agree with your analysis of accountability, but I disagree with blowing up the moon, so I am not sure which button to press.
    In that case, I would suggest replying.
  • Ben BlomBen Blom Posts: 250
    edited November 2016
    What does "vote down" mean?

I guess it means: “If enough people click this flag, the post will be buried”. In the past, the “bury-flag” (or one of the “bury-flags”?) was named “troll”. Calling a contributor a troll, seems to be considered to be too much of a punishment now—so this flag has been replaced by a flag with a name that sounds less punitive. This flag replacement lowers the threshold for people to click the “bury-flag”—so it can be expected that “big punishments”, the burying of a post, will happen more in the future. However, “small punishments”, calling someone a troll, will be a thing of the past.

(Edited because of Thierry’s post below. If the admins can’t take away the burying behavior from a flag, they can still decide not to use a flag with such behavior.)

• @Ben Blom It’s been stated by the admins in this thread that they can’t rename flags. And they can’t take away the burying behavior from the Troll flag.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited November 2016
    What Chris said. Which is why I’m not marking it!
  • joeclarkjoeclark Posts: 122
    True malice is rare.
    Someone not routinely victimized by it would think so, yes.
  • @joeclark
    Malice is viewpoint – "the desire to harm someone" – not an act. There are innumerate harmful acts and victims of those acts all over the globe, in all walks of life.
  • edited November 2016
    Case in point: @Thomas Phinney has been making a point to Disagree with almost anything I post, even innocuous things like this.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    Not innocuous: it was a non sequitur pushing an idea that you're really into, in a thread about a custom plugin we know very little about. We're aware that you feel strongly about having a uniwidth flag for axes. There seems to be little need, 3 replies in, to steer the conversation toward a specific flag.
  • What is a 'uniwidth flag' for axes?
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    @Michael Jarboe It was discussed here.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I don't like the fact that I can only select one of the reactions: I can't, for instance, tag something as insightful and vote it down.
  • edited November 2016
    @Ray Larabie Instead of here I've posted a reply to your point in that thread. (Too passive-aggressive, this flagging. Actual language features nuance and accountability.)
  • Hrant: No, I disagree with you when I disagree with you. I am not “making a point to Disagree with almost anything (you) post.”

If however, you keep on pushing the same idea over and over, and it's one I disagree with, sure, I'll keep on labeling it as something I disagree with.
  • My point is: let's blow up the moon.
    When are you going into politics, Ray... You'd do well. It seems that, in order to agree with your main point I had to also agree to blow up the moon. 

• joeclarkjoeclark Posts: 122
    There are innumerate harmful acts and victims of those acts all over the globe, in all walks of life.
    We aren’t talking about them. Please focus on this vertical-market type-design discussion forum and what happens here. If victims of malice say they are victims of malice, believe them, and don’t change the subject or make it seem like some unnamed persons somewhere else are worse off.
  • Please focus on this vertical-market type-design discussion forum
    ^ This, spot on Joe. It's a collaborative effort to stay on topic. We include type-people in "them", and yes I believe them.

If you wish to discuss anything else, PM me. I hope that is fair.
  • edited December 2017
    So some of the flags have been pulled. Which might be good, since it will reduce people's ability to throw stones from the safety of not actually posting. Let's just say what we think needs to be said.
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited December 2017
    I like that.

This reminds me of a recent thought that dawned on me: American scientists... (in case you don't know, that's a meme here in Europe :smirk:) claim that actuating facial muscles used when you smile can make your brain happier, even if you only pretend to smile; that's what we do today with keystrokes instead of muscles, but is the effect the same?
    The Reactions are fluff. I don’t use them consistently, and rarely pay attention to them. But I just discovered what the “Quote” button does, and will definitely use that in future.
  • The Reactions are fluff. I don’t use them consistently, and rarely pay attention to them. But I just discovered what the “Quote” button does, and will definitely use that in future.
    I like your comment

Thanks! I like your like!
  • I just realized that I just hit the 100 point mark! Do I get a T-shirt? Or maybe a free copy of Source Sans Pro?

André