Spam filtering is now active.

James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
Askimet spam filtering is now active on Typedrawers. This service examines all posts for spam and places likely candidates into a queue for moderator approval. Askimet was activated because there has been a contant stream of spambots registering accounts so they can stick fake links into their user information.

Occasionally your poses may be inadvertently flagged as spam. I check the site a few times a day and will moderate as needed.

Comments

• Thank you, James.
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Heh, good luck with that, James: Akismet is the same service monitoring the Typophile threads. ;-)

There are literally thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of “sleeper” spam accounts at Typophile. (They’re up to user 202,489 as of this morning, and you know that only a small fraction of those are legitimate, even after 12+ years.)
  • Just because someone installed Akismet at Typophile doesn't mean it is set up optimally.
  • Thanks, James.
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Just because someone installed Akismet at Typophile doesn't mean it is set up optimally.</<blockquote>

True. It was implemented through a Drupal plug-in.

Spammers are relentless and a real drag. Good luck, James. So far, everything looks good from out here. Keep up the good work.
  • Vanilla is very proactive about dealing with spam. Even when spambots were registering accounts they didn’t even bother posting. And with Askimet active they’re not creating new accounts. My guess is that spammers know Vanilla sites are a waste of resources and focus on all the old sites running sloppy implementations of PHBB.
  • Thanks for thinking to test that, Dave. I’ll try to figure out why your post got posted.