New type design periodical, Footnotes

Interestingly the back of the magazine is a space for people to submit typefaces to, so you can see how they look in a real print publication :) 

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    Thanks for sharing this. I've ordered my copy. And for everyone wondering, the shipping rates are reasonable.
  • La PoliceLa Police Posts: 9
    edited July 2016
    Hi!

Thank you Dave for the notice on this forum, much appreciated.

To clarify, the space you’re mentioning is entitled “Proofs”, which is the last page of the inside ones. Only contributors (of the current issue and future ones) are invited to take part with in progress type projects.
    Issue A showcases proofs of “Ermino” (the Sans companion of “Ermina”) by František Štorm and “Hershey Fonts” by Frank Grießhammer.

Thanks James (for the order too). I spent sometime estimating/calculating in order to offer fair shipping & handling rates. It also takes the number of copies into account.
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    La Police said:

To clarify, the space you’re mentioning is entitled “Proofs”, which is the last page of the inside ones. Only contributors (of the current issue and future ones) are invited to take part with in progress type projects
    Good to know :) Thanks for clarifying! :) 
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    Wow, $25 USD for a 48-page magazine?
  • SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    Bargain!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • La PoliceLa Police Posts: 9
    edited July 2016
    Wow, $25 USD for a 48-page magazine?
    To be precise, the retail price is $18 (+ shipping & handling).
    With original in-depth content (textual + iconography), without any ads or subsidies, this seemed like a fair price to me that I calculated carefully.
  • If you’re in NY, you can avoid shipping & handling by purchasing a copy in town.
    Two options: The Herb Lubalin Study Center or The New York Art Book Fair (September 16–18) with The Next Page project.
    Also, the online shopping page has been updated with pictures of the publication.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sorry, no more room on the bookshelves for this. Maybe if I got rid of all those TDC annuals I could squeeze it in.
    If the TDC were to publish a compendium volume of just the results of the TDC2 type design competitions — which is the only part of any TDC annual in which I'm interested —, I could consolidate and gain several inches of shelf space. The compendium could include an introduction considering the development of the competition over time, and what is reveals about changing trends in type design, and perhaps comments by past judges regarding how their choices have fared. Just an idea.
    I wouldn't brainstorm too much over this, Footnotes issue A is 48 pages (cover excluded), soft cover and most crutial, only 3 mm thick. Still, it's full of goodness.
  • For more background information about Footnotes, The Gradient (Walker Art Center's blog) published a nice interview. Issue A is almost sold out and I'm currently working on issue B, due next summer. Thanks for the mention on this forum.
  • Josh_FJosh_F Posts: 52
    Any idea if Issue A is still available anywhere in NYC?
  • There are two stockists in NY: Lubalin Center and Printed Matter. Just checked online for that last one, Footnotes is off their database, so probably sold out. Maybe give them a call or try Lubalin (ask for Alexander Tochilovsky).
  • Footnotes’ issue B was officially released last week: 
    Thank you for your interest!
  • Since the pricing of overseas orders has been raised here, I'd like to inform you that the Lubalin Center in NY will be stocking issue B, allowing you to purchase a copy without paying for the shipping & handling.
    You just need to preorder https://twitter.com/lubalincenter/status/949716403979943944