In flight entertainment - server or EOM license?

Miles NewlynMiles Newlyn Posts: 236
edited September 2016 in Type Business
Would anyone here understand how to cost a license for an inflight entertainment system across an airline's fleet?

I'm thinking this is likely to be a server license rather than EOM, with a server for each aircraft.

My typical costing for 200 servers would be prohibitively expensive, so I think another metric is required.

Comments

• SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    edited September 2016
    I get why you'd think of this as a server license, but each server could only have a few hundred concurrent users at most, so maybe base the price on total number of seats, which is easy to accurately calculate given fleet size and aircraft configuration... 737 800 typically has 162 seats x 200 = 32,400 seats.  
  • Thanks Si, but I still don't know how to price those seats.
  • Hi there. I know so many of you, but I am brand new to Typedrawers. I'm the General Manager for Type and Typekit at Adobe. Thanks for having me!

I don't know how helpful this is, but we do have two customers using Tk web fonts for in-flight entertainment systems.

Both of them are, it turns out, browser-based. So both are using Tk Enterprise, our high-volume web font thing.

From my perspective, per-seat licensing approximates the value to individual users of the typeface, rather than viewers of the typeface, as we have in this case. But that's just me. 

If we were to have priced this as a server license, which is something we don't do very often, I think our standard server pricing also would have been too high to fairly reflect the value the customer is getting.

So we probably would have reduced the price, and scoped the license to ensure it only applied to this specific application.

I hope that's helpful!

--Matthew
  • Welcome Matthew, great to see you here :-)

I understand you view on per-seat licensing, the seats are very well used, but a seat license in the thousands isn't going to fly - forgive the pun!

I will price this license on a yearly basis, which I'm finding clients are increasingly open to, and will be similar in cost to a high volume web deal.

thanks!
  • I don't know if I'd view this kind of system as being similar to a web page or site. But if you define "user" as a designer and "viewer" as someone who interacts with their work, then works.
  • Just exchange it for miles and flights.
  • Just exchange it for miles and flights.
    To type conferences! 
  • @Miles Newlyn can the passengers generate text in the fonts? Then it's OEM.   If not then it's something else.   We have a kiosk addendum I think I'd probably use in that case.   
  • @Miles Newlyn also,  you seem to be trying to price engineer for the client. I'm not sure why.   If you know what they can pay and you want to make the project happen you can always discount the price to their level.   I think there's still value in giving them an accurate quote of the project using your true tables.  That said,  I'm never afraid to invent a new pricing instrument when I encounter something unique -  which this may be.