Font Tester (Typeshift)

Andrew JohnsonAndrew Johnson Posts: 14
edited June 2016 in Type Design Software
Hi All,

Saw that testing type came up in a couple threads. I’m working on a design tool that lets you test fonts (either yours, or from other providers) in the browser responsively and save out HTML samples/specimens. It basically lets you get the important things down quickly with an eye towards responsive type.

That said, i’m working on it completely independently so any feedback would be much appreciated, just shoot me an email! http://typeshiftapp.com/

Comments

• Where can we test it?
  • kupferskupfers Posts: 259
    How does it compare to Marko Dugonjic’s type tester? 
  • Andrew JohnsonAndrew Johnson Posts: 14
    edited June 2016
    Hi Indra – yeah both Marko and Jon have done some awesome work.

Typeshift stays as out of the way as possible so you can quickly see relationships between typefaces, flexible widths, and viewport units in the same way text is set on the web:

Here i’m matching Founders Grotesk with Yrsa set in viewport width units. From there I can export as many lockups as I want to test on different browsers or hide the panels and resize the browser window to see how things work responsively.

(Edit:) Again built this on my own over the past several months so would love to hear people’s thoughts – definitely not fully baked.
  • kupferskupfers Posts: 259
    Ah, so like Typecast?
  • Andrew JohnsonAndrew Johnson Posts: 14
    edited June 2016
    Similar, yeah – and I think there are lots of things that can be done better – local fonts are front and center here so it pairs nicely with your own fonts or something like Fontstand. Not interested in overwhelming people with +88,000 fonts.