Real Names

Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
I've added my full name to my profile, yet it still seems to default to my username when posting. Anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    This is normal. The additional information shows up on your user page, but does not replace your user name. There is a different plugin that shows the real name, but it is not in the collection of plugins for hosted Vanilla forums. Eventually I will figure out how to install other plugins. Hopefully that won’t require me to host the forum myself.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    Ah, cool.
  • James -  Bummer about the limitations of the hosted software, but I think the success of this forum is directly tied to whether people see full names in the threads. 
    I really doubt that real names in threads are critical. Most forums, including Typophile, get by without that. But I do like the idea and will work on it.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2012
    I don’t mind using my given name, Nick Shinn, but on the spur of the moment I registered as nickster and it won’t change. The avatar is a recent picture of me, with hardly any Photoshopping.
    nickster, always the hipster ;-)
    James, is it possible to add the ability to change username?
    I’ll look into it when I have a chance. I’ll be at Nadine Chahine’s Arabic type workshop on Friday and Saturday, so I may not get to it until next week.
  • Cool.  After you learn how to design Arabic faces, come back and tell us.
    edited March 2012
    @maxphillips - why the attitude?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Syelon: no attitude intended, and I hope James didn't take it that way.  I sincerely think the workshop sounds cool, wish I was able to go, and further wish I knew more about the subject. 
    No offense taken, Max. I got the giggles just thinking about you being sarcastic.
    Sorry guys - bit tired this morning when I read it and took it the wrong way.
    As an aside, it seems you can tag people in comments. Handy to know.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    This makes me think of the limitations of online discussions. Text is so incredibly impoverished compared to speaking in person. It's so easy to be misunderstood. You look at the people who regularly are at each other's throats on that other place, and when they meet at conferences, it's a completely different story. Way more civility.

Back in the Compuserve days, I used to hang out in the Typography forum. Terrible flame wars would flare up regularly. Ever since then, my persistent image of online discussion is this: A pitch black room of unknown size containing an unknown number of people speaking through a shared monotone speech synthesizer.

I try to keep these things in mind when interacting online.
    Yeah I usually try to do the same. Slipped up this morning.

Maybe I'm the hrant of this place... ;-)
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    edited March 2012
    I used to get into tussles with Hrant years ago. My solution is: never take the bait. Ignore it. Stay on topic. Pretend he's just got Turret's syndrome or something.

Ever had a struggle with a dog over a rag or something? Let go and they drop it.

(Sorry for talking about you know who and you know where, again.)
    Good analogy :-)
  • In future, I promise ;-) to use lots :-0 of emoticons. XD
  • I should also say: sorry for the confusion, everyone—even James thought I was being sarcastic—and no worries, Syelon.
    James, do you know if changing usernames is possible?