Outsource hinting help

Yomar AugustoYomar Augusto Posts: 18
edited October 2014 in Technique and Theory
HI all, firstly I wish you guys a great weekend,
So, .... I might getting a good type project and I need help to outsource the hinting part of the job,
do you guys have any lead, technicians or a company name to help me out / budget cote wise.
thanks a lot
Yomar
Tagged:

Comments

• thanksssss
  • Get a quote from paratype
  • all of the sources mentioned here are very strong hinters, you might also check out http://www.paratype.com/
    Although their specialty is Cyrillic, they also hint Latin faces.
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    edited April 2015
  • Yomar AugustoYomar Augusto Posts: 18
    edited March 2016
    Thank you all guys for the links and names, sorry about the delay. Moved to a new state, life got crazy ;-)
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    Who do you now recommend for hinting? :)
  • If you can get Diane Collier.'s time, it's surely worth it.
    Also try 
    http://fontwerk.de
  • There's also Noe Blanco
  • For a hinting job using an autohinter, by someone who has spent,  at least,  a thousand hours autohinting and has built his own tools to speed up the process and has learned through experience what settings and font prep techniques get the best result - I recommend me, Richard Fink. My email address is in my profile on this site.

I would be happy to provide a free sample of my work with your own font so you can evaluate the quality and price before moving forward. Just send me an OTF (I'll handle the conversion) or TTF that you want to see hinted.

Unless the added precision of hinting by hand is truly warranted, using an autohinter offers a lot of advantages:
    1) It will be a LOT less expensive than a manual hinting job.

2) You won't be locked into coming back to me to make changes to the font in the future because the tools used, the settings, and any other alterations to the font will be provided to you with the finished, hinted font.  If you need to add a new glyph, for example, the chances are good that you'll be able to handle it yourself. (Of course, if you come back to me with the work, I won't complain.)

3) If the main reason you want a hinted TTF font is for web customers, I can also provide important advice on issues peculiar to the web: sub-setting, vertical metrics, scale, and more.

If a manual hinting job is definitely what you want,

John Hudson said:
    I say +1 to that. Diane knows her stuff. 
  • Mike DugganMike Duggan Posts: 237
    I say +2 to that. Diane knows her stuff. 
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    Also, Irina Kheyso used to do hinting for ParaType, now solo.
  • Anyone know what happened with FontWerk looks like they're no longer operating?
  • Anyone know what happened with FontWerk looks like they're no longer operating?
    If you need hinting service please contact fonts@paratype.com
    As pointed out elsewhere, Monika Bartels of FontWerk and her long-standing collaborator Anke Bonk are offering their services under the roof of Alphabet Type now. Feel free to contact her with your inquiries at monika.bartels@alphabet-type.com.