Insights from A Type Distributor: An Interview with President of Fontspring Ethan Dunham

If there’s one blind spot in many type designer’s knowledge, it’s how to market their typefaces.

TypeThursday chatted with President of Fontspring, Ethan Dunham, about insights on the type market and how type designers can better sell their work.

It’s one thing to have a hot font that sells well for three months, but what about the font that you designed five years ago that’s actually really well done, but forgotten?” — Ethan Dunham, President of Fontspring

https://medium.com/type-thursday/insights-from-a-type-distributor-1974ce80b648#.gwg82u3um

Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Where physically on the planet is Type Thursday located? I can't find that on their web site.
  • Where physically on the planet is Type Thursday located? I can't find that on their web site.
    New York City.
  • Where physically on the planet is Type Thursday located? I can't find that on their web site.
    Like James said, NYC. Specifically Williamsburg Brooklyn.

If you're ever around, you're welcome to drop by!!
  • Enjoyed that, thank you. And, yes, marketing is a huge challenge for us little guys.
  • One big takeaway for me from the article was that Ethan said that 70% of the houses marketing through Fontspring are outside the USA. 
  • One big takeaway for me from the article was that Ethan said that 70% of the houses marketing through Fontspring are outside the USA. 
    I agree, I was surprised myself with that info. I hope the interview was informative to you!

Enjoyed that, thank you. And, yes, marketing is a huge challenge for us little guys.
    You're welcome! So glad you enjoyed it!
  • Since that interview I've done a pretty deep dive into our data, and some of it is surprising. Will try to pull together something to share.
    That would be great.  Between Fontspring and FontSquirrel you've got a view of the business unlike anybody else.