Postscript Type 1

A client has asked for old Postscript Type 1 fonts. 

Is there anyway of doing this from Glyphs or via some reliable converter? Or do I have to go through FontLab?

Comments

• Hin-Tak LeungHin-Tak Leung Posts: 359
    edited February 2016
    There used to be a command line tool call ttf2pt1 I think, based on freetype, for converting truetype to type 1 .

I assume fontforge and many other tools car do the conversion via a GUI too. It was quite routine in the early days of TeX/LaTeX which used to support type 1 only, and still prefer it now, I think.
  • I already answered on the Glyphs forum.
    There is a .pfb file in the Temp folder from the OT export. Just rename the file to whatever you like. And you need to produce an .afm file. but that should be easy.
  • Paul van der LaanPaul van der Laan Posts: 242
    edited February 2016
    For what platform?

If you need to generate Mac PostScript fonts with suitcases then FontLab or Fontographer are probably (still) the best choice. Also for Windows pfb fonts I would only use a font editor where I can define all the settings myself (encoding, unique ID, etc). Too much that can go wrong...
  • To install a PostScript Type 1 font on Windows you need one .pfb and a matching .pfm for each font.

You can create a .pfm from a .afm and an .inf.  In this case you can use the afm2pfm tool to make the PFM: http://www.proximasoftware.com/downloads/

On the Mac side, you need one outline font file per font, plus a matching font suitcase with at least one bitmap font in it. One suitcase can support multiple outline fonts, however.

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,956
    afm2pfm tool

Wow. That brings back memories.

• It was for Windows, It looked as TransType 4 could convert it also, so I tried that out. Let’s what the client says. Thanks for all recommendations!
  • TransType is also a good software for generating webfonts