Robofab/ FL > Export Current Font to UFO error

Hi all,

I'm receiving this output when trying to run the Export Current Font to UFO macro:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 9, in <module>
ImportError: No module named robofab.interface.all.dialogs

I recenty installed all latest versions of RF, Fonttools, Dialoguekit and Vanilla.

Thanks for any help.

Artur

Comments

• Hi Artur,
    did you try http://blog.fontlab.com/font-utility/vfb2ufo/ ?
    Best,
    Christoph

• Thanks Christoph,

Looks like just what I need. :smile: 
  • The github version, which is the most current (download link here: https://github.com/robofab-developers/robofab/archive/master.zip) will solve this, but know that you need to be sure that you install it for the version of python that FontLab is using (not always the command line version of python).

I install once, then copy the library to all the versions of Python found in your /Library/Python folder. Put the what Robofab installs in each site-packages folder.

Or, as Christoph says, the vfb2ufo utility.
  • Hi Ben,

I installed the github version of RF for Python 2.7, which I believe is the one FL 5.1.4 uses, but still get this error message.

Best,
    Artur

• If you do "python -v anything", it would tell you where python is scanning for library files. You need to make it agree with where you put robofab files. The "anything" at the end is just there to stop python going into interactive prompt mode, and just quit when it cannot find "anything".

If your robofab is compiled against a specific version of python, you might need to change the symbolic link /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current to point to a different one than the default (probably 2.7 - earlier ones like 2.6, 2.5, 2.3 are offered in some versions of os X). But that's a hairy step I don't recommend as it might break something else.
  • Hi Artur,

Try the following command in the FL macro window:
    import sys
    print sys.version

That should tell you what version of Python FontLab is using.

Then go to /Library/Python/ and look for the folder with that specific version number. In there should be another folder called "site-packages".

Check in "site-packages" if there is a file called "robofab.pth", and if that file contains the correct path to your Robofab folder.

If this is not correct, then you should re-install Robofab. If your version of Python is 2.7 for instance, then you can also force Robofab to install for that particular version by using:

sudo python2.7 install.py

Hope this helps, otherwise let me know!

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for helping. The .pth file was missing, forced it with the sudo command.
    Other error messages emerge now though.

Will contact you 1 on 1.

Thanks,
    Artur