Studio Laurenz Brunner seeking graphic designer with type design skills

Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
edited March 2015 in Job Postings

Looking for a graphic designer with editorial, print and online experience to join our office in Berlin. Solid type design skills preferred. Fluent in English (spoken and written) and ideally basic German. Part-time (80%) or full-time, beginning in April or at earliest convenience.
Studio Laurenz Brunner is a graphic design and type design office based in Berlin. Current projects include documenta 14, Offprint Paris / London, Hamburger Bahnhof, Gavin Brown's enterprise.
Thanks for sending a PDF portfolio and CV to mail@laurenzbrunner.com.

Studio Laurenz Brunner on Facebook

Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Stewf,
    Regarding the "M" graphic you posted with this job announcement, how does it relate to the job opening?  Besides the fact that I do not agree that there is only one way to make an M and that the so-called "good" one is not that good?
  • Just reposting as I saw it, Chris. You'll have to ask the studio.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Thanks, Stewf.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2015
    I believe it is a talking point/attention getter. If one’s interest is piqued by such matters, irrespective of in what manner, then one has the right frame of mind for the job.

I’m not sure which form of rhetorical device this is, perhaps a lemma.
  • d, very wrong:
    drats, my latest typeface, Carbonara Demi Bold is a fail.
  • One man's Very Wrong could be someone else's Perfect. It all depends on the context.
  • attarattar Posts: 209
    Well, at least they show a reason they are in need of a person with type design skills and experience.
  • For the font into which A fits, B, C, and D would  all be wrong and very wrong,
    Right or wrong is irrelevant, the purpose of illustrating a job posting with this document is historiographic—i.e. to filter for applicants who are aware of historical context and interested in the past and precedent. Not dogmatic or fashionistas. At least, that is my analysis.
  • edited March 2015
    Agree. It's merely illustrative about background and skills through the point that they are looking for.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    To my eye, the only one that is “clearly wrong” is B. Neither A nor C have assorted kinds of optical compensations I might hope for.
    How can you say B is wrong without seeing the rest of the typeface?
  • I'd say this little quiz is a tongue in cheek attention-getting device. 

Agreed, Nick. Rightness or wrongness of a glyph is 87.5% determined by the context of the font it's a member of.

Clearly I'd be a lead contender though. :)  
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • yakuninsyakunins Posts: 2
    I think B was bravely introduced in Fedra Sans 

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    No, that isn't nearly as severe as the example given in the original showing.
  • kupferskupfers Posts: 259
    Hahaha awesome! Tania, you could have save the Drawers months of discussion : D