Type and old users

Fabio SantosFabio Santos Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in Education
HI
I am currently involved in a project that involves designing an interface for old users. 
I am looking for some guidance on the best practices on selecting typefaces for this kind of demographics.
 I found some nice articles and some typefaces but I would love to know what you guys thing might be a nice approach.

Best regards
Fabio Santos

Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    At 71, I am an old user but I don't think I am any different than the  average person.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    Big x-height, relatively low contrast, loose spacing. The easiest way to see what works is to go to a library and look at magazines for retirees—you won’t see much 8pt Helvetica Light printed in fifty percent gray!
  • I designed one somewhere around here. My brief, no point sizes below 56, all sans. 70/30 ratio of black to white. Don't mess around, we are old and just need the facts jack. 
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Glad Jack Webb stopped by to clear this up ;-)
  • What sort of old users? People come from all kinds of different demographic groups until they get old. Then they're just old.  ;)
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Ask an optometrist to prepare some eyeglasses for you that simulate the effect of being old, and use these when assessing the merit of your interface prototypes. (That is, if you yourself are not old.)
  • We become less sensitive to green as we get older, so view your designs through orange glasses. 
  • Here's an article for the food industry I wrote years ago: http://www.asiafoodjournal.com/article/why-older-consumers-need-new-tricks/2460
  • kupferskupfers Posts: 259
    That’s a great article and great tips! Thanks for sharing.