Need to replace scanner

Michael ClarkMichael Clark Posts: 138
edited July 2012 in Type Design Software
Sorry about the category violation but I saw nothing that came any closer.

I need to replace my HP Scanjet G4010 and am at a loss as to which direction to go in. Basically:
Mostly black and white, very little color
1200 dpi is all I need
Do not want to spend a million.
For Mac

Any suggestions?
Thank you

Comments

• Recently bought a Canon Lide110 (the very basic model) and I'm happy whit it.
    Initially I wanted to buy the Lide700 model, but only the 110 was available in my city.

It was hard to find a scanner in my city. Seems that most computer stores don't sell scanners anymore, instead they sell lots of all-in-one printers.
  • Michael ClarkMichael Clark Posts: 138
    edited July 2012
    Thanks Pablo... any limitations or drawbacks? I will look at it.
  • I've only used it to scan at 600dpi.. haven't found any limitations so far.

The good thing is that is Mac compatible.
    I'm using the standard mac interface (instead of the software provided in the scanner CD).
    Also, it does not need to be connected to the power plug. Only to the mac USB port. 1 less cable.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    The store at Epson.com has a clearance section where refurbished scanners are sold. I bought one for $100 in 2008 and have used it since with no trouble and Epson keeps it working with new versions of Mac OS. You might have to check it daily to score a cheap deal, but for better scanners there are usually some nice models waiting to be snapped up.
  • Michael ClarkMichael Clark Posts: 138
    edited July 2012
    Did not notice "the store" in my travels among all the sites but I will go looking now. The OS is certainly a consideration as I am going to purchase a new "workhorse" in December like I do every three years. I do not load all the junk on the Airbooks.

Thanks James!
    Sorry if I put this in the wrong place... where should I have placed it?
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    Seems like a fine place to me.
  • I used to have standalone scanners (Nikon, Agfa) with troublesome drivers and connections. Then I bought the HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-one (Printer/Fax/Copier/Scanner), and was amazed how cheap, good, reliable and versatile it is. The current models should be even better.
  • I appreciate both the public and private responses. I am going to sift through all the info I have gotten so far and order one on Monday. Again, thanks.

Michael
  • edited July 2012
    For a while, I was contemplating getting a Doxie, but then again … who needs scanners? :-)
    (PS: Doxie, like most portables, only gives you 600ppi)
  • Since Michael asked for at least 1200 dpi, I thought I should check the scanning specs of my (fairly old) HP: resolution: up to 4800 x 9600 dpi optical (varies by model); 19200 dpi enhanced (software); color: 48-bit color, 8-bit grayscale (256 levels of gray); maximum scan size from glass: 21.6 x 29.7 cm (8.5 x 11.7 inches). That probably explains why nobody sells standalone scanners anymore ...
  • PabloImpallariPabloImpallari Posts: 777
    edited July 2012
    Just tested the Lide110 at 1200 dpi grayscale. It works nicely.

On the drawbacks.. not a big problem, but letting you know:
    Since it is USB powered, the scanners is restarted when you reboot your mac, and, after a few minutes it goes to sleep. As a result, when you really need to use the scanners it is probably sleeping, so you have to unplug and replug the USB cable to awake it.

Of course, you don't need to have it plugged in all the time.
    You can have it unplugged, and just plug it in when you really need to use it.