Pointed Pen Calligraphy Guides



  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 1,933
    Pushing the nib means moving it away from the angle of the writing arm, rather than pulling it. This can be done reasonably easily with broad nibs made of some materials and on some kinds of medium (sized paper and vellum, for example), but a pointed, split nib will dig into the paper, and even on a very smooth surface you won't get good ink flow with such a movement. Hence, split nib ductus always involves pulling movements, rather than pushing movements.
  • Wow...
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 1,933
    Yes, obviously that's someone who is never going to dig into the page. But I wouldn't really call those connecting movements pushing, at least not in the sense that some styles of some broad nib scripts call for pushing to create the principle stems of letters.
Sign In or Register to comment.