Cambria, highlight height

Changing the font to Cambria in illustrator gives it a very large selection height. What's the purpose of this? Are there some glyphs that really dip down that low? This doesn't happen in InDesign, though.

Comments

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Cambria Regular and Cambria Math ship as a .ttc (TrueType Collection), which shares a common glyf table but with separate vertical metrics settings. Based on your screenshot, I'm guessing that what you are seeing in Illustrator is based on the WinDescent metrics of the Cambria Math OS/2 table setting. So the first thing to do is to check what font you have selected in the Illustrator font menu, Cambria Regular or Cambria Math. If the menu says Cambria Regular, but this is what you are seeing, that would indicate that somewhere in your software something is misinterpreting the .ttc contents.
  • On Mac OSX, the character sets of Cambria Regular and Cambria Math appear to be (almost) the same (6,977 vs 6,978 glyphs, v5.96), i.e. the non-math version contains math glyphs (including those with extreme dimensions), too. From a quick glance, the only difference between the two styles, as presented in OSX, appears to be that operators like +−±×÷=≈≤≥<> are drawn larger in Math.
  • attarattar Posts: 209
    Right, they were redrawn by Ross Mills. I think Cambria Regular does not have the OpenType Math code besides that.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I've not looked at the Mac Office install of Cambria. On Windows, the two fonts have identical glyf tables and ship as a .ttc. Possibly they were repackaged as individual font for the Mac and have now diverged slightly.