Options

Fontstand launches

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ale PaulAle Paul Posts: 33
    I think its impossible but it would be great to have a code to make the create outlines action disable instead of the F/f, of course it would not help but is one more step to hack. The tracing idea is just happen when you test a font at MyFonts in big size and screen capture so yes there are many possibilities to do a logo without including renting a font. Anyway, thinking in a real costumers world the idea of a font to be use in a logo for 10% of the price is not for me and as we know Peter wants the project simple.

Stewf, yes they are as much expensive coz they are from a Pro foundry too ;). Usually a Sudtipos font is more than 1500 glyphs per weight/style.
  • Options
    Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 997
    Indeed, I don't think you should charge any less.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,147
    Recent model emerging from the music biz: you can get content free if you agree to accept future announcements, “like” it, and Tweet about your download.
  • Options
    Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,654
    So, only people who download it and don't like it have to pay?
  • Options
    Marc OxborrowMarc Oxborrow Posts: 220
    edited May 2015
    Nick, the "like/tweet to own" model has been used for type, too. Atipo has released several fonts this way:
  • Options
    Peter Bilaks speech and Fontstand presentation is now unlocked for everyone. http://typotalks.com/de/videos/peter-biľak-fontstand/

• Options
    Georg SeifertGeorg Seifert Posts: 669
    One difference is the the sky font solution would just put the fonts in a temp folder so that indesign could access it. FontStand seems to be a bit smarter then that.
  • Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,971
    The difference between Fontstand and Skyfonts is that Peter asked first.
  • Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,394
    Stephen, my post was aimed at James M.

But, as James M says, are these differences substantial?

I thought point 2 was true for SkyFonts; and point 1 seems a bit flimsy; perhaps stronger if it was the 'a', or other common letters... 

Would people have been happy with SkyFonts if it replaced a few glyphs with a SkyFonts logo?
  • Options
    Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 997
    edited June 2015
    If you're really comparing Fontstand with SkyFonts you need to know something about how much revenue gets back to the type designer. They use two different models: SkyFonts is a library subscription (a la Typekit desktop sync), whereas Fontstand rents by the font. If you’ve heard anything about Spotify’s revenue distribution you understand why the library subscription model is not favored by makers. Peter discusses just that in his TYPO talk linked above.
  • Options
    The fact that Fontstand is not a flat-fee subscription makes all the difference to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The fact that Fontstand is not a flat-fee subscription makes all the difference to me.

Same here. That is also why we didn’t join Typekit, but instead choose Fontdeck. 

• Options
    Fontstand is a good model with an exceptional foundry list. If I'm being picky though the single line specimen showings per weight are insufficient (though I haven't downloaded the app yet, just viewed the website, perhaps you can interrogate further in the app?). Good enough to take it for a free 1 hour spin or a 10% punt I suppose, and of course you can always go to each foundry's site to inspect in further detail first, but are there plans afoot to address this in future updates?