Options

How does one know which rasterizer IE is using?

Internet Explorer can use Directwrite, but it doesn’t always. Quirks and configurations of HTML and fonts can cause IE to use an older rasterizer. Is there a feature in IE that reports which rasterizer is being used?

Comments

• Options
    I recall a Javascript thing that drew a letter in a canvas and, based on the way it rendered its subpixels – amounts of pink etc. – it reported back its rendering environment.

Type Rendering Mix seems to handle this case. It’s not what I remember seeing, but it at least can supply this sort of knowledge.
  • Options
    I think I saw a font that uses some clever hinting to show different outlines depending on the rasterizer. But, I don't know where I saw it.
  • Options
    Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,391
    edited April 2015
    DejaVu and I believe the Ubuntu fonts had some clever hinting in a PUA-encoded glyph that drew a glyph showing the PPEM size... I don't think it changed on rasterizer, though... 
  • Options
    The DejaVu fonts have U+F000 and U+F001 for the PPEM (horizontal and vertical), U+F002 and U+F003 for the point size (horizontal and vertical). The Ubuntu fonts have U+F000 for the PPEM.
  • Options
    Wasn't Internet Explorer officially pronounced dead last month?