Options

'all caps' messing with spacing

I'm in the testing phase with a typeface I'm working on, and have run into a strange issue. Hoping someone here can help figure out what's going on!

In InDesign, I'm testing my case-sensitive punctuation by setting some words in all caps (manually, using the Shift key) along with some punctuation, and then toggling on/off the application's All Caps feature (the "TT" button). But when I do, the All Caps button seems to also loosen the spacing of the letters! It looks like a bit of tracking is being applied, but it isn't.

I've checked to make sure it's honoring my kerning values, and it is.

I can't think of any reason why this would happen. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Looks like there is a Capital Spacing OT Feature applied in your font.
  • Options
    Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Did you code in the feature when you designed the font?  Seems strange that it would just appear without your knowledge?
  • Options
    Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,400
    I think Glyphs automatically adds the cpsp feature. It can be removed if desired. https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/automatic-feature-cpsp/1854/11
  • Options
    I changed it that the capital spacing feature is not added automatically any more.
  • Options
    That's it — thanks guys. Glyphs added cpsp automatically. Very strange that that's the default! I'd much rather leave such things up to the user.
  • Options
    Georg: Good to know, thanks. I need to update!
  • Options
    I think they should also have a "Please do me all the favors you're not doing for David Berlow" button.
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,146
    I’ve put CPSP in a couple of my typefaces, but it does nothing for most of them, so not a good choice for a default, IMHO.