software for manipulating TT dropout settings

What tool should I use to manually edit True type dropout control in a hinted font?

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2015
    I’d be happy to just do this with TTX if I had a clue how to edit the PREP table. I’m just trying to add SCANCTRL and the relevant bits, but I don’t understand how to add said bits after adding SCANCTRL[].
  • ttfautohint -d will do just that
  • Adam TwardochAdam Twardoch Posts: 507
    edited March 2015
    It's worth noting that the script Dave points to will replace the "prep" table with a new one that enables dropout control, but will keep the "fpgm" and "cvt " tables as well as the hinting bytecode in the glyphs. So in order for this to work sensibly, the input font must have no hinting (you'd have to remove it using other means).

ttfautohint -d is the option I asked Werner to implement which will remove all the hinting data from the font and only set the dropout control, leaving a "font hinted at the barest minimum", considerably smaller than any font actually containing hinting. So for this option, it doesn't matter whether the input font had sny hinting or not.
  • Adam, I assumed that James wanted to keep the hinting, but change the settings for dropout control. 
  • Ah, right!
  • Does James know how and where to add the right stack of TT inst to the right place yet?