Outdated glyphs

I’d be interested to hear your opinion on glyphs that, for one reason or another, are no longer needed, such as: jacute, aeacute, aemacron, aringacute, oslashacute, kgreenlandic, softhyphen.

I’ve kept them in my character set mostly out of old habit, but my font engineer keeps pointing out that we really don’t need them anymore.

Best Answer

  • Ray Larabie
    Ray Larabie Posts: 1,502
    Answer ✓
    I leave out deprecated characters, and I generally omit historical characters unless there’s a clear reason for them to be there.

    For a serious text face, broader historical coverage can certainly make sense, especially if the typeface is intended for scholarly or linguistic work. But at that point the expected character set may also extend into things like IPA and other specialist requirements. For most display faces, unless the design has a particular historical purpose or theme, I don’t think including historical characters adds much practical value.

    I also rarely include f-ligatures. I normally design the f and adjacent letters such as i so that they work together without needing a ligature to solve collisions. Also, I don't like f-ligatures...just my personal preference.

    For display typefaces, I also omit the precomposed Esperanto characters. I’d rather keep the character set focused on forms that are likely to see actual use in the intended context. But I always try to include a dotless j, just in case.

Answers

  • Dsche
    Dsche Posts: 28
    Yesterday, I finished a rough draft of a typeface that omits the *ff* and *ffi* ligatures—simply because, this time around, I felt it would be easier and more pleasant to manage the entire menagerie of possible combinations (including, say, the glorious word *Sauerstoffflasche*) using OpenType features.
    But the question, as always, is who is footing the bill: if a distributor, platform, or client has standards requiring specific features, you have to either comply. (Just out of curiosity, I ran my fonts through the Google Fonts validator—and was told about missing characters I hadn’t even heard of.)
  • [...] are no longer needed, such as: jacute, aeacute, aemacron, aringacute, oslashacute, kgreenlandic, 
    jacute is still in use for stressing the Dutch ij. 
  • Ermin Međedović
    Ermin Međedović Posts: 109
    edited 9:59AM
    jacute is still in use for stressing the Dutch ij. 

    It is handled via ccmp.
  • jeremy tribby
    jeremy tribby Posts: 297
    generally agree with the above about text faces. one other reason to consider including them is for users who want to do wacky stylistic things with homoglyphs, leetspeak etc (not actually sure if there is a broad term for this 🙂)