A verie bad fount.
Nick Shinn
Posts: 2,401
Following up on this previous discussion, I’ve now published the typeface in question.
Auld English® has three novel contextual features (default long-s, pseudo-random effect for body-text letterpress mimickry, and “re-writing”), but I thought I’d focus on the re-writing here, as the design space for this was informed by John Hudson and Thomas Phinney, with their hard line on the inviolability of canonical text—which is why I’ve released the “Spell” versions of the typeface as a free experiment. In particular, the transliteration is quite plausible for most text, but makes a hash of proper names!

Auld English® has three novel contextual features (default long-s, pseudo-random effect for body-text letterpress mimickry, and “re-writing”), but I thought I’d focus on the re-writing here, as the design space for this was informed by John Hudson and Thomas Phinney, with their hard line on the inviolability of canonical text—which is why I’ve released the “Spell” versions of the typeface as a free experiment. In particular, the transliteration is quite plausible for most text, but makes a hash of proper names!

0
Categories
- All Categories
- 47 Introductions
- 4K Typeface Design
- 497 Type Design Critiques
- 590 Type Design Software
- 1.1K Type Design Technique & Theory
- 674 Type Business
- 904 Font Technology
- 29 Punchcutting
- 543 Typography
- 128 Type Education
- 333 Type History
- 82 Type Resources
- 114 Lettering and Calligraphy
- 33 Lettering Critiques
- 81 Lettering Technique & Theory
- 577 Announcements
- 101 Events
- 116 Job Postings
- 174 Type Releases
- 185 Miscellaneous News
- 270 About TypeDrawers
- 54 TypeDrawers Announcements
- 114 Suggestions and Bug Reports