AI for custom type

Comments

• Simon Cozens
    Simon Cozens Posts: 733
    edited October 17
    Any evidence that this is anything more than a parametric variable font?
  • And a bad one at that.
  • JoyceKetterer
    JoyceKetterer Posts: 800
    edited October 17
    It was trained on "open source typefaces" (I assume they mean libre).  @Dave Crossland is that allowed?

• James Puckett
    James Puckett Posts: 1,991
    It seems like the SIL license fonts would allow them to distribute AI generated fonts but not sell them.
  • Dave Crossland
    Dave Crossland Posts: 1,429
    Right; training AI on libre fonts is allowed, since all usage scenarios are allowed. But making derivatives from OFL fonts is, as James says, going to require the results to be  (remain) OFL, no matter way process is used to derive them.
  • Nick Shinn
    Nick Shinn Posts: 2,187
    edited October 17
    Why are the results of “training” not “derivative”?
    How is it different from, for instance, tweening between Roboto and Noto?
  • John Hudson
    John Hudson Posts: 3,133
    edited October 17
    Why are the results of “training” not “derivative”?
    I think everyone here is saying that they are derivative, and hence that the terms of whatever license agreement covers the works on which the AI was trained applies to the AI output. This is something on which both commercial font sellers and libre font distributors will likely agree, since both rely on licenses to define terms of use for derivatives (and whether derivatives are permitted at all).

The legal analysis I have read regarding derivative works and AI suggests that questions could be raised in court, both in terms of challenging copyright law regarding derivative works made by AI or, conversely, extending copyright protection to works made by AI. Fun times!