A new Art Deco, and the hunt for Broadway Greek/Cyrillic

I'm working on a typeface inspired by Broadway and Bifur. Both these classics have some lovely design qualities that I wanted to see combined: Bifur’s unweilding geometric discipline married with Broadway’s high contrast and (more) legible letterforms. I was also curious to see how far the contrast could be pushed. For the sake of simplicity this has remained an all caps typeface.

I could see this being used anywhere from restaurant signage to cocktail menus. It’s not meant for paragraphs of text. A lower contrast companion may be helpful, but I don't want the design to lose its personality. Here are a couple glyphs that show what I mean.

As an experiment, I've testing how the letterforms work when applied to other scripts—Cyrillic and Greek. I have zero experience designing for these scripts though so the design is likely full of flaws. While looking for reference of Bifur and Broadway I couldn't locate any signs that they ever received a Greek or Cyrillic expansion. Does anyone know otherwise? It seems overall that non-Latin scripts have very little when it comes to this type style.

Comments

• John Hudson
    John Hudson Posts: 3,130
    edited October 13
    I’m not familiar with Greek or Cyrillic in this specific style, but there are definitely examples of Art Deco Cyrillic lettering and typography. Look for e.g. Russian film posters of the period.

• The typically stressed part of N is actually the diagonal (missed by many).
    Your cyrillic Ц is incomplete.
    Greek is, in this case, the most tricky, especially letters with syncopic stress pattern (Ξ, Σ). A very interesting task though. (I once did an Art Deco Greek with much pleasure).

• I tried to explain my thoughts in the attached file.
    deco.pdf 701.8K