How do you backup your work?

Been thinking about this recently and just read Nick Cooke's comment/blog about losing a month of work on Exentrica due to his Mac and Time Machine malfunctioning.

I use Time Machine currently (automatic backups hourly), but I've considered Drop Box premium—either to replace or in addition to TM.

What do you use or like to do? TM is easy on one hand, but the massive 1+GB frequent backups it does gets cumbersome.

Comments

• Thomas Phinney
    Thomas Phinney Posts: 2,848
    edited October 9
    For my current active projects, I have local copies of things, plus use local and remote Git. Any old stuff that is not in Git, is in directories backed up by DropBox or Google Drive.

Git used to be something I only did for projects for Google because they required it, but I am sold on using it as a general workflow, so I recently set up a repo for an ongoing non-Google project as well.
  • Adam Ladd
    Adam Ladd Posts: 262
    edited October 9
    Helps to hear so far... I tend to use hourly Time Machine for everything since it backs up the whole computer, as well as current projects. The free tier of DropBox is nice for current projects, but not sure how secure or reliable it is to keep files retrievable in case of a crash. Git will be good to look into more.
  • Ray Larabie
    Ray Larabie Posts: 1,425
    On Windows, I use DropBox (2TB account). OneDrive for a few smaller files like font metadata.

Nightly, the contents of Dropbox and OneDrive are backed up on a separate physical drive using Iperius Backup. Annually, I dig out my box of old hard drives and use one of those USB SATA docks where you can hot swap. I back up critical files to those. About twice a decade, I burn a stack of DVD ROMs.

Dropbox has saved me many times. I can restore previous versions and easily access files on my phone/tablet from anywhere in the world.
  • Mark Simonson
    Mark Simonson Posts: 1,719
    In addition to hourly Time Machine backups to a NAS, I have all my font-related work (plus a bunch of other stuff) in Dropbox where I'm paying for 2TB for $120 per year. Between the two, I've never lost any data. If I accidentally save over something, I usually use Time Machine to retrieve it. With Time Machine, I can restore my whole setup if something catastrophic happens to my computer (and I have had to use this several times). Dropbox is mainly a fallback for peace of mind. It's also easy to share stuff with others using it.
  • Thomas Phinney
    Being able to get specific older versions from backups is super helpful, on top of having backups of my current work. I do not need this super often, but maybe a couple of times a year this is highly important in my work.

Github of course has version control and infinite versions built in.

With my DropBox account, I have paid for the extra option that includes old versions of files, not just the latest. Anybody using DropBox as part of their setup should consider paying the extra bit for this feature, so you can access older versions of “the same” files.
  • John Hudson
    John Hudson Posts: 3,130
    Two local external backup drives in rotation.

Most font projects in git repositories.

Everything also backed up automatically to secure encrypted servers in Switzerland via Tresorit.
  • While I still use Time Machine, its shortcomings led me to also use Carbon Copy Cloner backing up to external disks.
  • DropBox (for everything basically, not just type). I think the only arguments against it are:
    - Privacy (but honestly who's gonna steal your fonts in progress?)
    - Money (but easily worth the saved headaches if you can spare it)
    - Environment (servers use electricity, and a lot of it, but thankfully fonts are relatively small in file size)
  • James Puckett
    James Puckett Posts: 1,990
    I use Time Machine for a local backup, it goes to a 4TB SSD half the size of my phone so it’s portable. For remote backups I use Dropbox. Every now and then I dump stuff to a blu-ray disc, but that option is going away as nobody makes writable blu-ray media anymore.
  • John Hudson
    John Hudson Posts: 3,130
    Re. DropBox, I have had clients specifically require me not to use DropBox because of security concerns.
  • Thomas Phinney
    Having done more research, I realize that I will need to migrate off of DropBox to a more secure system, at least for my more confidential work.

Although Sony is stopping producing writeable blu-ray discs, there are many other manufacturers in this market at present, and the patents are expiring (this year and next), so I expect one will be able to buy writeable blu-ray discs for some time yet. Although in the long term, sure, new writeable blu-ray discs will go away... maybe even in just a single-digit number of years.
  • Eris Alar
    Eris Alar Posts: 454
    Why use optical media when solid state options like usb sticks and SD cards exist, have larger capacity, and AFAIK have a longer shelf life?
  • depending on the format, optical media can last substantially longer. the M-DISC format in particular, which is supported by some blu-ray and dvd writers, lasts 1000 years. it's a great option (when combined with others) for long term archival storage
    for local backups (both time machine, and more long term archives that aren't tied to any one machine) I have a 4-disk NAS in RAID10 so two disks can fail at once without issue. that gets encrypted and backed up to the cloud as well. I do have my font projects hosted on github too
  • I print out each .glif file for every character in each of my .ufos, put them in a glass bottle, and throw them into the ocean.

Honestly, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Backblaze. I've been using it for a long time, backing our machines up hourly via Arq, as well as a local backup, Time Machine, and iCloud.
  • Seconding Backblaze. It's saved me a few times now. I also use Time Machine but it hasn't been entirely reliable. And then manual backups to SSD and HDD.
  • Adam Ladd
    Adam Ladd Posts: 262
    Backblaze looks interesting, yeah, had not heard of it. I like the device syncing/accessibility of Dropbox if working on a file on different machines, but it sounds like a form of this might be done going through the web with BB(?).

• backblaze is great. they have written some blogs about their infrastructure and it's really impressive. they are being a little disingenuous with that comparison chart, though; their most direct competitor for unlimited backups is crashplan, which costs around the same and has some additional features like linux support and the ability to retrieve backups in a way that doesn't involve large ZIP files. crashplan also has some downsides; the interface is worse, you can't get a drive shipped to you, and uploads are really slow
  • John Butler
    John Butler Posts: 283
    In a Windows desktop or a Windows laptop that can house at least two internal drives, the most bulletproof method I know is periodic full disk backups to a second physical drive. Keeping the drive internal also makes it bootable—Windows goes out of its way to prevent you from booting from an external USB drive, for fear of lost Windows license revenue. Use Volume Shadow Copy, or a commercial front end to it like Casper.
    Plenty of 15 inch and larger laptops these days have at least two internal M.2 slots, the second one unoccupied, and you just buy a second SSD and install it in that slot.
  • @John Butler This doesn't seem particularly bullet proof to me. What if the laptop gets stolen, lost, or heavily damaged?

• James Puckett
    James Puckett Posts: 1,990
    I echo what Jasper said. There’s a reason people dump their data to tape and pay Iron Mountain to store it in concrete vaults.