OSX Sequoia weird issue with ligatures

I just got a question by a customer.

When setting text with their custom typeface in Sequoia and IOS 18, the ligatures fi and fl behave as if they have the width of a lowercase f.

For example if the type the word 'Confirm', the r is positioned on top of the i.

They tried it in several apps.

Does anyone recognize this ? Fonts were generated about a year ago.

Comments

• John Hudson
    John Hudson Posts: 3,130
    OSX Sequoia or IOS 18? Which apps?
  • On both systems.

One app I am sure of is text editor on OSX Sequoia. The others were screen shots
  • Kent Lew
    Kent Lew Posts: 926
    Could it be related to Ligature Caret List information in GDEF table being interpreted incorrectly? Just a guess.
    Were the fonts produced with Glyphs by any chance?
  • I was thinking of the Ligature Caret as well as the potential issue. But there are no carets in the file.

Why the question about Glyphs ?
  • Kent Lew
    Because Glyphs makes the addition of Ligature Caret fairly automatic with Set Anchors routine and many may not realize they added it. (Not saying this would have been you.)
  • Kent Lew
    edited September 26
    Are there other f-ligatures that don’t exhibit the issue? If so, that would give you a point of comparison. But you probably already checked that. 🤔
    What happens with 'ffi' — does it behave with width of one 'f' or two? or ... ?

• As far as I can tell it happens in the 'fi' and 'fl' ligatures. In the samples sent by the client, the 'ff' ligature isn't used, so I cannot compare. There is no 'ffi' of 'ffl' ligature in the typeface.

I don't have Sequoia installed yet myself.
  • If it is an OpenType layout feature related issue within the font, then I suggest to use the Proofing tool from FontCreator to reveal the problem.
  • Mark Simonson
    Mark Simonson Posts: 1,719
    edited September 27
    This sounds kind of like a font caching issue to me. You say this is a custom font, which I assume you're developing. Have you sent them multiple versions of the font?
  • I delivered the font almost a year ago. So it shouldn't be a cache problem