Seeking Recommendations for Font Licensing Services

Hello Typedrawers Community,

I'm currently looking for a reliable font licensing service that can provide industry-standard licensing quotes tailored for foundries.

As many of us know, navigating the complexities of font licensing can be quite challenging, especially when trying to ensure that all agreements meet industry standards. I am particularly interested in services that:

• Offer clear and comprehensive licensing options.
  • Understand the specific needs of foundries and independent type designers.
  • Can provide tailored quotes for various usage scenarios (desktop, web, app, etc.).
If anyone has had experience with such services or knows of agencies that offer these kinds of licensing quotes, I would greatly appreciate your recommendations!

Comments

• AFAIK there is no such service, but it is a really nice idea. Something where you could fill out a common language questionnaire and download a full license text with all the usual definitions and sections, based on your answers.

Quotes are somewhat a separate topic from licensing. The license defines the terms of using the font, but the price itself is not part of the license text. So the industry-standard prices are more of a marketing question, while the industry-standard license is more of a legal question.

On the other side, it is not a waste of time to write your own license, because that way you are in a position to fully understand all the details, which is beneficial when you start answering your customers' questions. I took a few examples from other foundries and stores, and by comparing their definitions I have managed to understand what are the main points of interest. Then I picked the definitions that I preferred and changed them according to my needs.

You are welcome to take a look at my license:
    https://nostalgicdolphin.com/font-license/

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I am not saying my license is perfect, it is just an example of how I did it for myself)

Also, since the license text is something that customers read often, it should be written in common-sense understandable language. Like "you are allowed to do this, and prohibited from doing this". Various types of licenses (web, desktop, app, etc.) usually differ in like two sections, the 80% of the text is the same.

I spent about 3 days writing my own license, and I consider it my most well-spent time this year when it comes to the font business :)
  • Miles Newlyn
    Miles Newlyn Posts: 245
    edited September 2
    Fortunately there are no industry standards for licensing and its pricing.
    I think this ILT Academy course could be useful to you:
    https://ilovetypography.com/academy/enterprise-sales-101/
  • Thank you for your insightful comments on font licensing. After conducting a thorough week of research, I've understood how to determine licensing quotes and why choosing "Top-Tier High-Value Fonts" comes with a higher price tag.

How to Determine a Quote

Determining a quote for font licensing involves several key factors:

1. When licensing a font, consider the scope of its usage, such as the number of products or projects it will be used for and the intended market presence (local, national, or international).

2. Licensing Type: Based on how the client plans to use the font, identify the license type appropriate (e.g., unlimited or limited, website, desktop, apps, software, server, number of fonts used, marketing, branding, social media and the number of products containing the font).

3. Company Size and Profitability: Consider the client's business size and profitability. A larger, more profitable company typically warrants a higher licensing fee, mainly if they use the font for high-visibility projects.

4. Previous Audits for Comparison: Use past licensing agreements with similar clients as benchmarks to establish a fair pricing structure.

Why Top Tier Fonts Are Expensive

Top Tier High-Value Fonts command higher prices for several reasons:

Market Recognition: These fonts are often associated with leading brands, enhancing a company's credibility and visibility in the market. Choosing a top-tier font means investing in a strong brand identity.

Quality and Design: High-value fonts are meticulously crafted, often with extensive character sets and premium features that enhance usability across various applications, making them worthwhile investments for brands.

Impact on Brand Equity: Using top-tier fonts can significantly elevate a brand's image and market presence. The investment is justified by the long-term benefits they provide in establishing a strong visual identity and customer recognition.

Profitability Alignment: The pricing reflects the font's extended usage potential and the significant value it offers companies, especially those distributed through major retail channels.

In summary, understanding these factors will help ensure a fair licensing process while reflecting the actual value of top-tier fonts.

I look forward to your thoughts and further insights on this topic!

• Ray Larabie
    Ray Larabie Posts: 1,425
    edited September 3
    I think this was written by Claude. (sorry, I had trouble getting the spoiler tags to work)

Prompt: Write an engaging post on a professional font designer forum. Make it a question about font licensing services for designers. Include hashtags.

Claude 3.5 Sonnet:

Font Licensing Services: Are They Worth It for Indie Designers?
    Hey there, type aficionados! 👋
    I've been grappling with a question lately, and I'd love to tap into the collective wisdom of this community. As an independent font designer, I'm wondering about the value of font licensing services. You know, platforms like MyFonts, Fontspring, or Creative Market that handle the licensing and distribution of our typefaces.

The Dilemma
    On one hand, these services offer exposure to a wide audience and handle the technical aspects of licensing. On the other, they take a cut of the profits and might limit our control over how our fonts are presented and sold.

Questions I'm Pondering
    1. For those who use licensing services: How has your experience been? Has the increased visibility been worth the revenue share?
    2. If you handle licensing independently: What tools or systems do you use to manage this process efficiently?
    3. Have you found certain licensing services to be more designer-friendly than others?
    4. How do you balance the desire for creative control with the potential benefits of these platforms?
    5. For those who've tried both approaches: Did you notice a significant difference in your revenue or client base?

Looking for Insights
    I'm particularly interested in hearing from designers who've made the switch one way or the other. What prompted your decision? Any regrets?
    Let's share our experiences and help each other navigate this aspect of the business. Whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out, your perspective is valuable!
    #FontLicensing #TypeDesignBusiness #IndieDesigners #FontDistribution #CreativeEntrepreneurship
    ---
    *P.S. If anyone has recommendations for resources on DIY licensing, I'd be grateful for the links!*

ChatGPT 4o

Subject: Seeking Recommendations for Font Licensing Services for Designers
    Hello everyone,
    I'm currently exploring various font licensing services that cater specifically to designers and would love to hear your experiences and recommendations. As a designer, it's crucial to find a service that's not only comprehensive but also easy to navigate, especially when it comes to dealing with clients who might not be familiar with the nuances of font licensing.
    Have you come across any services that stand out in terms of support, flexibility, and transparency? How do they handle custom licenses or situations where clients need extended usage rights?
    Looking forward to your insights!
    #FontLicensing #Typography #DesignBusiness #GraphicDesign #TypeDesign

It's not the use of AI tools that's a problem here. It's a combination of the generic username, generic icon, a lack of specifitity, and no real understanding of the topic. I think these kinds of posts will get more common here so let's keep an eye out for them.
  • Wow, can the type of community stop being so critical of my posts!!!? Focus on the issue and not if I typed something out with Chat GPT. I can't understand why the type community focuses on helping not judging!
  • I am a real person. The reason why my name isn't disclosed is because of the judgment of this community! Monotype and other vendors destroyed my business by hiding licensing deals, Monotype sneakily changed my royalty rate from 50% to 25% and I had to go bankrupt because of this. I lost everything. Luckily I still have my business so I am auditing companies who are using my fonts. I hide my name because of the judgment of this community which is apparent in this thread. All I wanted was help trying to properly license my fonts so I could get back on track. Please stop the bullying, it's beyond hurtful considering I lost everything because of Monotype and other vendors' misconduct. And then I get bullied by fellow type drawers for asking for help. Whats wrong with this world!?
  • PabloImpallari
    PabloImpallari Posts: 802
    edited September 6
    Blaming the whole world, the resellers, the community, and everyone else but you is an excellent strategy! Keep it up!!!  :s
  • Ray Larabie
    Ray Larabie Posts: 1,425
    edited September 6
    You can blame me all you like, but I think many would agree that your messages appeared to be machine generated. I use those too, but I edit the output to ensure clarity.

Anyway, from what I can gather from your last messages, you want a third-party agency that negotiates license quotes rather than a font vendor. So you'd have your own storefront and someone else would personally negotiate each sale. Is that correct?
  • I’m not a lawyer, but licenses, like people, tend to follow patterns.

In my opinion, there are enough "well-written" licenses that you could feed a few favorites into ChatGPT to create something close to an industry-standard license. However, a machine-generated version might not account for specific jurisdictions (which ideally should align) and likely won’t be legally airtight – unless you're comfortable with the risks involved in piecing together "Frankenstein" licenses.

Some font sellers may recommend lawyers who specialize in type licensing. Others in the type community can offer tailored advice based on experience, though they lack formal legal training.