Critique request: Clearly

Brian Dove
Brian Dove Posts: 11
edited August 31 in Type Design Critiques
Hey y'all,

Last year I released a single weight of a flared typeface called Clearly. Since then I've been working to expand the family, starting with a weight axis. I'd love some feedback on the basic character set, particularly in terms of evenness of color, proportions, use/amount of contrast, and spacing. I have roughly kerned the lightest instance and done minimal amount of kerning on the darkest. The Light and Black are master instances, the rest are interpolated. Intended for display use.

A preview image and proof PDF are attached below. Any and all feedback is welcome and helpful! I have been staring at this for too long and it's time for some fresh eyes. Thanks in advance for your tips!

Comments

• Craig Eliason
    Craig Eliason Posts: 1,433
    The diagonal terminals at the midline should overshoot more (for example /u and /y seem shorter than the other letters).
    In bold I think the counters of /b/d/p/q should be wider. Perhaps /r's arm should have more weight in bold too (but don't make it any wider overall).
    The bowls of capital /D/P/R lend character, but they may need more pushing points around to get to happier shapes. Whatever happens there should make some appearance in the /B too. 
    /z is too wide in your bold master.
    Lovely /c!
  • S and s are leaning backwards. The whole thing is a bit quirky though, so maybe that's fine. I feel the same way about the angle of the cutoff in q.
  • The rounded top-left part of the /a does not match with all the other pointy shapes
  • Agree, could look to the tops of /s and /r for an approach to the /a terminal
    Also seems like the bottom of /a has a tad too much overshoot.
  • Thanks for the feedback, all. Very helpful!

Pablo & Thomas, agreed on the /a. Having the terminal not be hooked like /c and /r was a deliberate choice at some point as to not overuse the hook motif, but I agree it feels off. Roughed out a hooked /a and I like quite a bit!