Type Foundries—What are you looking for in submissions?

Troy
Troy Posts: 2
Hi everyone, I coach designers on how to make type, and I often get the question, "How and where can I submit my typeface for consideration?". I can only speak from my experience, so I would love to broaden my response by hearing from you about what you are looking for. Every foundry has different requirements, so I'm open to any comments or questions you think I should ask. I would love to speak to anyone interested in sharing your thoughts.

Comments

• Igor Petrovic
    Igor Petrovic Posts: 290
    edited July 7
    It is hard to give a short answer without elaborating on the current trends in the font market. But as a quick input, I would say it depends on the long-term strategy and ambitions.

Does one plan to produce more typefaces in the future or just to leverage the potential of that one — made as a graphic design side adventure? If the former, it is a chance to start growing own business around it. If later, it makes sense to offer it through the store (rather than the foundry).

The overall impression is that the font market has been in crisis in recent years. I have no experience partnering with foundries (only directly with stores), but if the foundry struggles to sell its own typefaces it is a question to which point they will be enthusiastic about promoting the third-party product (where they earn less). Not to mention that many foundries are further distributed through stores, which means even lower commissions for the original type designer.

That said, there are font stores that keep up a fair relationship with type designers. I would suggest Font Brothers with the best commission on the market (65% goes to the designer, and it will remain so). Stuart Sandler from FB is active here.

Also, Type Network and I Love Typography. I know more about TN since Matthew regularly shares news and information about their business here. But heard a few nice reviews about ILT as well.

One thing worth mentioning is that running own business enables agile font development (through font versioning). That way one gradually improves the product, has regular communication with customers that follow the progress, and earns while working.
  • Thomas Phinney
    Thomas Phinney Posts: 2,851
    @James Montalbano shocked in what ways? That the pricing is low? Is high? That there is a surprisingly large or small discount to buy the full family compared to the individual font price?
  • Stuart Sandler
    Stuart Sandler Posts: 359
    @James Montalbano for clarity, $12 USD is what I'd consider the 'floor' on pricing but generally a 5 End User Desktop Use license in general is $20-30 USD based on what is typically listed at most distributors and again, per single weight, not family.

I recall at one point a foundry owner shared his pricing schema for families which was the base price + $10 USD per additional weight to build in a bulk discount.

Again, pricing remains subjective and is always personal taste as it should be but it should also reflect the marketplace IMHO.
  • Typedesigner
    Typedesigner Posts: 47
    edited July 9
    The industry standard for font licensing prices has been $39 to $59 for well-developed fonts for many years. However, many foundries charge more. The design of a well-designed font with an extensive character set requires a significant amount of time and effort. Furthermore, the creation of marketing materials also requires time and resources. It is important to note that these prices only represent turnover. The profit is calculated after deducting all other foundry costs. 

For companies that purchase font licences for various projects or corporate branding, the price is not the primary determining factor; rather, it is the suitability of the fonts for the company that is of paramount importance.
  • Eris Alar
    Eris Alar Posts: 454
    This might be a topic for a seperate thread, but I wonder how lower-but-not-free pricing compares to higher pricing in terms of success for the foundry? I know there are foundries I adore but I have never been able to justify to myself licensing type from as their prices are just too high for me. Yet, I may spend the same amount if total money elsewhere where I feel I’ve getting ‘better’ value. This is usually expressed in family size, so extra weights and styles. I also buy a lot of my type on sale, which I’m aware is it’s own thorny topic too. 
  • Typedesigner
    edited July 31
    I would be interested to know whether only foundries from the USA are represented on Typedrawers.com or also from Europe?
  • Stephen Coles
    Stephen Coles Posts: 1,006
    edited July 31
    There are many TypeDrawers members in Europe and other parts of the world. You can see the full member directory here, and you can filter the list by country – like France, Germany, Italy, UK or Ukraine. Unfortunately, those are very partial listings, as a lot of folks haven’t filled out the location part of their profile yet. Also, the location field is also open to any text, so some have only added the city, rather than country. Here’s London, for example.
  • James Montalbano
    James Montalbano Posts: 99
    edited August 2
    Contrastingly, in Indian culture, individuals often seek out a specific person they admire or respect —effectively 'choosing' their future boss— and then contemplate how they can contribute to that person's endeavors.
    @PabloImpallari Back in mid 80s there as a job hunting strategy going around called "The Boll Letter", where the job seeker would send a personal hand written letter on monarch sized stationary to the person they wished to work for. I used it once and I did get a nice response from the then art director of Rolling Stone. No job came of it, but the response was genuine. I don't think "The Boll Letter" is used anymore.

• A few rudimentary notes in regards to what foundries may look for, among other things: 
    • A typeface that feels fresh and original (which can be very subjective).
    • A typeface that's in a genre not already present in the foundry's catalogue.
    • A typeface that has a story to it and communicates a simple concept convincingly.
    • A typeface that has a high level of execution. Not necessarily a finished project, but it has to shine through that the designer knows what s/he's doing.

• Typedesigner
    edited August 7
    A few rudimentary notes in regards to what foundries may look for, among other things: 
    • A typeface that feels fresh and original (which can be very subjective).
    • A typeface that's in a genre not already present in the foundry's catalogue.
    • A typeface that has a story to it and communicates a simple concept convincingly.
    • A typeface that has a high level of execution. Not necessarily a finished project, but it has to shine through that the designer knows what s/he's doing.

I would say that not all foundries are the same. There are simply big differences that need to be taken into account. On the one hand, a foundry can consist of one or two type designers working together as partners. Such a small foundry can be very successful.

On the other hand, a foundry can also be a group consisting of several business partners, type designers, marketing and sales staff. Such a large foundry has different marketing and sales possibilities than a small foundry.
  • @Typedesigner

I would very much agree that not all foundries are the same, and that it's very hard to make generalisations as to requirements for submissions. That's why I wrote "may look for" as opposed to "are looking for" :-) 
  • Troy
    Troy Posts: 2
    I really appreciate the comments from everyone in this thread. I’m hearing similar views from others.

I agree with what @JoyceKetterer said, I like to collaborate with those that I want to represent. I think the relationship must comes first. I propose they present what I like to refer to as a Font/Type Seed, ie: a limited character-set, to gain interest before spending three years of their life making something they want to submit. Often foundries support the designer with kerning and other production anyway, and like it done in a particular way, so finishing a typeface before submission is almost going too far.

Thanks again for all the very insightful comments.