What kind of impact did digital/social media have on fonts?

Options
Adam Ladd
Adam Ladd Posts: 257
edited June 1 in Type Business
Basically, just curious looking back a bit if there was a noticeable impact/opportunities in font business at the onset of the digital era (maybe 2000-2010-ish I'd guess)?

I was driving through an old part of town and noticing some "older" fonts in use on signage/branding (cooper, papyrus, etc). It just reminded me how "fixed" physical/printed items were before digital.

I guess there's just a conditioning now with the fluidness of digital, and I wondered if when brands really started to leverage digital outlets for communication if it helped drive more experimentation and adoption/licensing of fonts, or willingness to change more frequently (because it’s maybe “easier” to change).

Comments

• John Butler
    John Butler Posts: 266
    Options
    The biggest effect I’ve noticed social media having on fonts is the sudden prevalence of Hoefler Text in Facebook reel captions.

• Adam Ladd
    Adam Ladd Posts: 257
    Options
    ... for those who sold fonts in the rise of digital, did it seem like there was more frequent purchasing compared to before digital?

I'm curious if there was a change in how often brands were willing to change/update fonts because digital allowed for more flexibility/less commitment (although may still impact identity system investments if changing too often).
  • Mark Simonson
    Mark Simonson Posts: 1,672
    edited June 4
    Options
    TikTok used Proxima Nova as its default for a few years (2020 until last year, when they commissioned a custom font).

I don’t know if social media specifically has had much effect on font sales for me (other than netting a big license from TikTok), but on-screen use of fonts (the web, apps, etc.) certainly has compared to when print was where fonts were mostly used.
  • lorcand
    lorcand Posts: 4
    Options
    I would say that Söhne has certainly had a 'visibility lift' by being widely used in Medium posts (paired with Source Serif Pro). It is also used by OpenAI on its website, which has been pretty high profile :-) 
  • John Nolan
    John Nolan Posts: 47
    Options
    Nice essay, Nick. Thanks for that.